Par can DMX problem

dmarin

Hello, I own a cheap standard 512 DMX controller and 4 brand new (cheap Chinese) par cans.

The par cans are working properly standalone without DMX, but when I connect them to the console no signal and no control to the lights!

The cable is DMX, the address is correct, and I use also a terminator with 120ohm resistor.

The console also has a polarity switch but no luck!

I forgot to mention that I test once at a time and not all together! Also the console is working properly with other "more expensive" lights.

Please your help!!

Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, well there are a few things might be happening here.

Do you have any information with the par cans about what the DMX channels do?

Do you have other DMX equipment you can use to test that the controller is working properly?

I just tested an ADJ Mega Tripar par car and worked flawlessly with the controller so it is not the controller the problem.

On Chinese par cans the channels are 7.

Ch1: Brightness

Ch2: R

Ch3: G

Ch4:B

Ch5: Strobe

Ch6: Pulse

Ch7: Colors shade

I have "played" with all faders but no light :-( This happens to all 4 par cans so it is not one with problem.

Is there any internal connections that can I test to the par cans?

Some DMX par cans require you to set a switch to tell them whether they should operate in master/slave standalone mode or in DMX controlled mode.

It's also not unheard of for the DMX dip switches to be upside down (so when you think you're set to ch1 it's actually set to ch511

Ch1: Brightness

Ch2: R

Ch3: G

Ch4:B

Ch5: Strobe

Ch6: Pulse

Ch7: Colors shade

Set Ch1=50% (128) and Ch2=128 then have a play around with Ch5 and Ch6 to see if you can get red light out of the thing. It's possible the Strobe channel has the equivalent of "shutter open/close" functionality.

If you suspect the DMX address (sorry I was a bit slow "Saving" my post and the thread had moved on quickly), then set also Ch5=128 and change the DIP switches until you get a flickering red.

how can I solve this my friend? I mean the reversed pins

I must admit I've not ever come across XLR pin phase swap with my motley range of fixtures, but unless you want to resolder one of your leads, something like this:

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01351/adaptor-phase-reverse/dp/AV14519?st=phase%20reverse

Archived