Avolites vs Chamsys Dongles

haymere

I use both, I prefer Avo as it's what I know the best but Chamsys has the edge on cue stacking imo.

If you are planning on upgrading in the future think about what local hire companies have in stock in case you ever need to hire in a proper desk for a bigger show.

Avo:

wide user base

easier to get desks to hire in

very good for rock & roll busking

software looks nicer and you can draw pictures to label things

Chamsys:

poor build quality on the smaller cheaper desks, ok on the bigger ones but all the AVO stuff is hard as nails

better for timecode and cue stack shows

More universes from one desk

entry level hardware/small desks are cheaper

I've used both in the past but Chamsys is the better of the two IMO - although functionality and usability is very similar Chamsys has multi-platform compatibility and none of the licensing faff that comes with Avo. As a mutli-disciplined tech I like that I can have 1 laptop in my bag (Macbook) and know I can turn up at a gig and either run a QLab show or Chamsys on the same machine, or lend someone my Chamsys dongle and know it's going to work.

I've used both in the past but Chamsys is the better of the two IMO - although functionality and usability is very similar Chamsys has multi-platform compatibility and none of the licensing faff that comes with Avo. As a mutli-disciplined tech I like that I can have 1 laptop in my bag (Macbook) and know I can turn up at a gig and either run a QLab show or Chamsys on the same machine, or lend someone my Chamsys dongle and know it's going to work.

That's a good point about mac. If you need mac compatibility Avo does not do that.

Chamsys have been fortunate so far not to suffer the chinese "cloning" problems that Avolites have had, which has resulted in the "licensing faff" as you put it. As they go more "mainstream" with Chauvet it'll be interesting to see if that changes.

Archived