The peril of eBay smoke machines.

bigclive

Just in case anyone is tempted by the bargain disco smoke machines on eBay.

There's something you should probably know.......

Aside from the chopped earth wire.

And the 240V supply to a female 3-pin XLR.

And the fake fuse holder.

And the lack of secondary thermal protection.

And the ability to completely defeat the internal thermostat with a miswired or faulty remote lead.

And the live/neutral lucky dip.

And the copper coated aluminium flex with insulation that cracks when flexed.

But other than those minor details it's OK. I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

I wonder how many of these things are in use, and more importantly - how many are using audio cables as remote extensions. Especially the ones with screened metal connectors.

I would love to see what Feedback you leave these Ebay sellers http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

On the basis that I deliberately buy lots of stuff from eBay that I know will be dangerous I don't actually poke the hornet's nest. If I opened up an eBay case for every dodgy purchase I would quickly have my account questioned.

Experience has also shown that if you get a listing for a dangerous item taken down the seller will simply relist it under one of their many other names. The Chinese seem to have automated software for bulk listing and also adjusting price in response to demand. That's why you often get the message that the listing has been updated by the seller when you revisit one you have bought from.

Archived