£4000 What to buy?

chris999998

I'm looking into a new PA for my school with a budget of around £4000, which would be ex-vat as school doesn't have to pay it. I hope to get a bit more money if I can justify it, which, as with most things, I'll have a go!

So, a few questions...

1- Does anyone have any idea what Thomann own brand products are like?

Specifically, the XLR/XLR cables, Spkn/Spkn Cables, DC1500 Drum kit set, EM900 condensers, MB-75 instrument mics, connectors (XLR and Jack), M12e monitors, S100 amps and millennium mic stands which are sold by Thomann. 

Never used their stuff, but go for quality

2- Do you think it's worth the extra £20 for SM58s as opposed to the cheaper PG58s?

yes

3- Has anyone used the Behringer MX9000 desk? I'd love to get an A&H but I'd also like to get the mics, stands and so forth which prohibits this, I'm mainly gearing my choices to having the kit for our big sound gig which involves standard rock band-y stuff, choirs, piano, other instruments, hence the large proportion of budget on mics, including the wireless ones required in the spec. 

Personally, I do not like Behringer desks, I have always found them uncomfortable to use. You want to make sure the desk is designed for live sound purposes more than studio purposes. There is often a big difference in feel.

3- What does anyone think of feedback destroyers? - the behringer DSP1124P (feedback destroyer pro), I've a mate who swears by his, but I've also heard the sorts of "feedback destroyer? grrrrrrr" comments, which leaves me a tad confused. 

I don't like them - although if you get one which logs the freq's it lowers (and approx. levels) they are usefull at sound check to set your eq - I would rather buy more kit (ie a good eq) than a feedback destroyer

4- What does anyone think of the Yamaha AX15s as high/mid speakers with SW118Vs  as subs?

Never used them.

5- Finally, is there any 'killer' kit which I haven't thought about for a school situation? The only thing I haven't so far listed here which I've included is a Numark dual CD player.

Thanks in advance, your help is gratefully recieved, 

Chris

Does the dual CD player self mix, or are there two separate outputs - because I can assure you that you will want to mix them on the board.

Kit I would recomend:

A good quality multicore/stage box.

Either a multi-FX or at least reverb effect processor (Rock singers love them)

A good EQ

A couple of active DI's

Flight cases for everything.

I know when I planned the sound-system for my old school, we did not buy flight cases for all the mic's etc. Well that is the last time I am not doing that. For some reason, someone thought they would like a suspended choir mic, and took it. Well I have no idea why - I doubt anyone would have a use for it unless they owned a large open space.

That is of course if it is going to be portable (that was part of my spec's, as we wanted to be able to use it in the gym, performing arts center and for special events held at the local rec center). If it is all going to be fixed, invest in a good cabinet to keep mics etc locked up in - if you get one that has variable height shelves, if you remove a couple and replace them with pegs, you can hang up cables nice and neatly.

Cables should be marked both ends so it's quick to see and even if one mark comes off, the other end is still labelled.

3 (b).  By the way, had you noticed that you have 2 question 3s? 

On the marking, good plan, on the reappearance of the number three, em, that would be an oversight.

EDIT: I've worked it out, they breed! :), ** laughs out loud **

Does the dual CD player self mix, or are there two separate outputs - because I can assure you that you will want to mix them on the board.

Kit I would recomend:

A good quality multicore/stage box.

Either a multi-FX or at least reverb effect processor (Rock singers love them)

A good EQ

A couple of active DI's

Flight cases for everything.

I believe there are separate outputs, however good point, I will check.

I had forgotten to mention an EQ, I was looking at a behringer one (FBQ6200), and DIs would be behringer DI-20s.

On flightcases, I don't think this would be going anywhere much (that would be the older system, which we'll be getting a wheeled rack unit for, if I get my way), but I'll discuss with management.

So from what you've all said, I think that an A&H PA28 (or perhaps a GL2200, I've got to have a read of their brochures) and SM58s would be the best options.

For speakers, I've had a look a Bose, what does anyone think of any of their products (other than the 802s, which have, I believe, been covered quite a bit).

Cheers,

Chris

I believe there are separate outputs, however good point, I will check.

I had forgotten to mention an EQ, I was looking at a behringer one (FBQ6200), and DIs would be behringer DI-20s.

You might get better value for money from the DEQ2496 - good bit of kit.

For speakers, I've had a look a Bose, what does anyone think of any of their products (other than the 802s, which have, I believe, been covered quite a bit).

They're fine if you're doing vocals only. For anything else live, steer well clear. There are much better speakers for the money. I'd have a look at something like the Mackie S215 (or even one of their powered speakers, if you're not set on a powered mixer).

I'd avoid speakers in plastic boxes though, although that may be just a personal preference.

Archived