Non Payment

OddSocks

We are talking a private individual putting on an event sponsored by the company he works for, raising money for a local charity

In that case a personal visit to his office, with a polite "I've just come to collect my cheque" may do the trick - it's worked for me on a couple of occasions.

Questions to consider - Who should have paid you, the individual or the company? Did the company's MD & FD sanction the sponsorship, or was it just the individual? Did the event make enough money to cover its costs (including your fee) & still raise money for the charity?

I am wondering whether to also send a letter to the company's director and the charity just to let them know what is going on in their names.

I would leave that for later (starting with a phone call).

Probably best to write it off to experience - if only in your own mind. There are people mounting events for 'charity' who won't pay whatever happens. I am owed £15 from 1972 in precisely the same circumstances and research in the local media for the area shows he is still up to the same tricks 46 years later!!!!

I've had one of those, though the amount was considerably more. One TV studio I did odd days for only got around to paying just before booking me for the next, so when they went bust I lost my last day's fee, & a facilities company I did a lot of work for tended to leave paying outstanding invoices till a few days before their Xmas parties, attended by a lot of important customers, many of whom I knew from my BBC days.

• 8 months later...

Firstly, you should always put discount as only applicable with a prompt payment within a certain time frame.

If you issue a summons, you are entitled to interest under Section 69 of the Countty Court Act 1984 at 8% per annum (you probably won't get that much) and the Late Payment of Debts Act.

"I never got the invoice" or "the cheque is in the mail" or "going on the next payment run" are all old and pathetic excuses. Send them a 14 day notice before action letter (by post and email) and if they don't respond issue a summons online here https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim, and don't forget to include Statutory interest that is due from the date of the invoice.