Lighting for the novice

andy1908

im in a band in the states that has been looking into doing some small lighting for our shows. we've been looking into working with a foot switch to control everything and maybe a few strobes, lamps, and (most importantly)tubes. more of an ambient lighting situation. I haven't been able to find much information about how we can go about doing this. ive checked over at americandj.com and have gotten somewhat of an idea of what to do, but they have limited info. im just looking for a direction to go with this. any help would be very much appreciated. if I have no business here, I understand. thanks in advance.

Andy

You need to find your self a friendly local lighting person (try your local theatre/concert venue) and then ply them either with drink or dollars into giving you advice/help.

Asking the lighting guys here for advice is like them asking you to teach them to 'play the guitar a bit' over the forum, it could be a very long post!

Hope this helps

depending on how complicated you want to go, I'd opt for a couple of par cans on T bars which will give you a general wash with some light red's and possibly a few blues to add a bit of difference,

I'd steer clear of strobes unless you have someone to operate them who isn't playing in the band (FOH op etc) because of the problems related to excessive strobe etc

Asking the lighting guys here for advice is like them asking you to teach them to 'play the guitar a bit' over the forum, it could be a very long post!

short and sweet ;-)

Hi,

What kind of band are you in. the lighting you have will differ somewhat to what music you play.

Do you wish to light an audience as well or just your band?

Also whats your budget

Thanks

Daniel

Archived