Bose 802/302 Setup Question

MickieMackieMoo

Really silly question, I normally play with lights but helping a friend and need a second opinion please

He has a setup involving

4 x bose 802 tops, 2 x 302's - The system works and goes thu the relevant bose controller and then split amps power the relevant speakers..

I understand that the bose controller acts as a EQ??? is this correct

Whilst looking in to a rattle in the 302's I noticed the internals have been by passed and the jack socket is wired direct to subs/speakers..

so my question is the internal parts that are missing inside the 302 what do they do ??? is a solution to use a graphic EQ ?

thanks

Mickie

the internal passive crossover in the 302's is a hangover from the earlier "controller" which was just a simple EQ unit, without an active crossover section that the later, 19" rack mounting controllers form - if you are using a later controller and bi-amping the system then the internal passive crossover does not need to be there, other than the fuse that should remain in place.

The rattle could be a driver issue - the 302 driver uses a single roll foam surround, and these are notorious for rotting away due to age - and these are all now getting on a bit. the cabinets, despite being high density chipboard are actually very solid and well braced, so unlike to be rattling. If the original drivers have surround rot, then there are repair kits available as pattern spares on line, or an eminence delta 12" driver makes a decent, inexpensive replacement.

a graphic EQ will not help you here other than for general system / room EQ, the controller should apply the corrective EQ that the system designers intended.

Archived