Peter Andre - can celled show

paulears

Earlier in the season, we should have had Peter Andre, doing 'An evening with .... unscripted'. It got cancelled and re-scheduled for last Saturday. The evening before I got an email from the promoter saying he was ill and could not attend. A number of warning bells rang. The meet and greet - Gold ticket with close contact and photo £90+, with Silver - just photo, and bronze - just the theatre priced below it, was clearly the income generator. The rider just asked for two mics for two singers, mentioned a DJ - but no technical content at all. In fact, no singing was even mentioned, so we think the idea was to simply chat to the audience and answer questions. The stage event secondary to the meet and greet. The meet and greet was re-arranged for before the show so he could fly back to America, but I must admit that when there were pictures of him heaving up over the side of the boat in Florida in the Sun, I wondered. So he was flying back from a holiday with the kids to do one show, and then back out again? We'd hired in a projector (as somebody stole mine last year, black flight cases all looking similar), we'd removed lots of flown kit to fly the projector and the screen we have, and were ready, annoyingly we did it after the previous show so we didn't need to come in early on the Saturday, but still had to go in and remove it all again - what a pain.

Looking back to the cancelled events elsewhere locally, it seems the production company is different in each case. I guess we have to believe he was taken sea sick and couldn't fly, but sadly, I suspect he's done in our part of the world. Illness is always built into contracts, so we're not giving in on this one. Box offices doing refunds for people not being able to perform is never a nice job - with the abuse and anger the staff get, but in this case, too many people are thinking the same thing. Clearly I'd rather be in Florida than here too - but rats are being smelled.

Here's the story in the paper.

link here

There are a number of these “minor pop star from 20 years ago” shows doing the rounds at the moment (we must have had a dozen of them through our tents this season) and whilst they are all run by different companies they do all seem to follow the same pattern of the acts being booked essentially as a nightclub PA, no tour manager, a sound engineer who’s a freelancer (often it seems never having worked with the band in question despite being “their guy”) and someone in merchandise who rocks up with a truck full of albums and t-shirts to sell. The whole product is sold as a touring show but there’s no one actually running it and everyone just sort of muddled along and creates some sort of evening entertainment but it’s a poor night out and audience reviews are “meh” at best for it.

There’s a boyband one working at the moment where basically it seems like an excuse to get touched up by the audience and they don’t even try to actually sing half the songs.

The performers love it because for them it’s a 20min gig but I really can’t see the concept surviving much longer as every real venue and promotor I’ve spoken to this year has similar horror stories about the “show” they’ve been sold

Worked with Peter and his crew earlier in the year, this was a headline slot for a local military festival. Full band and performance, with meet and greets for competition winners. I think he was onsite for all of 2 1/2 hours but throughout was totally professional and "on it", even had his daughter with him watching from side of stage and brought her out for a quick hello.

Left with a quiet respect for the guy - turned up on time, did his job well and was off again with minimum of fuss and drama. Can't ask for more really!

Archived