Some advice please

sigill

Hi

I have been asked to tech manage a small scale dance tour witch would like to project an image onto their black back drop. Although I have done a bit of projection before in previous shows I am by no means an expert on the subject and seeing that I'm going to have to buy a projector for the tour I thought I better get some advice.

Basically my question is this..."How many lumens do you think I'll need to get a decent image on a black surface. Length of projection will vary from venue to venue"

and can any one recommend A:-Make/model B:-Where to buy.

oh yeah and I don't have a great deal to spend £1500 inc Vat tops

Thanks for looking

Si

I'm no expert on this, but I've seen 35mm slides projected onto black velour drapes very effectively using a kodak 2050 (I think!) carousel projector. you could do a bit of research to find out how much light they produce. However, I think that the effectiveness may be as much to do with the contrast between the image and it's background on the slide (or in the film) as dark colours or images will not work well when projected onto a dark screen.

( the images I saw were full sized images of the 2 performers in this bizarre dance piece - they stood in front of the black drape, with the sldies lined up exactly on them, then when they moved away they left a ghostly image behind on the black drape - very spooky.)

I have projected video/powerpoint onto black velour drapes many a time over the past 2 years, with varying quality.

As andy_s said, it depends on what you're actually projecting (the lighter the colours, the better), but also what the lighting states will be when projecting - if it's dark when the projection is running, you could get away with something that's only 2000 lumens.

Bearing in mind it all depends on your audience/stage/projection size, distance from projector (roughly), lighting states during projection, etc.

Hope this helps!

Well for a start you might need to review the budget....... £1700 will get you about 2500 lumens possibly. (Chrisite LX25 on a bargin price.......) Ex VAT. Yo can go cheaper, but you pays your money and takes your choice.......

As for brightness? Well 2500 is kinda passable in day light on a proper white screen. But I have no idea when it comes to projecting onto black....

I have found a web site where I can get a 2500 lumen projector and stay within my budget. But is this going be enough. Has anyone ever used a 2500 lumen unit when projecting onto black??

Haven't seen the lx plan yet. But I can't imagine it going to be really bright. The show has already been done in brasil but the director doesn't know how many lumens the projector was. I am also still waiting to see the dvd that is being projected. Sorry I know this doesn't really help.

... Has anyone ever used a 2500 lumen unit when projecting onto black??

Heh, I've just looked at the specs of the projector I've used in the past - an NEC LT158 - and it surprised me that it was only 1500 lumens! :)

But yes, depending on the lx plan and the footage to be projected 2500 lumens might just be enough for your plans. Hope that helps :D

Archived