Cheap Audio Interface for Live Sound

jbaileypro

Hi all,

I currently have a couple of Presonus 2 input, 2 output USB interfaces. I currently use these for QLab playback and with Smaart measurements.

There has been a couple of times when I have wanted more outputs from one interface specifically for QLab and having more than 2 inputs would of been nice to use more averaging in Smaart (multiple measurement mics).

I came across the Behringer interfaces, specifically the UMC404HD that ticked many of my boxes. Some were:

- 4 Mic/Line switchable inputs

- Main output is on balance XLR connectors (saves extra cables to jump to XLR on small shows)

- 4 Extra outputs for QLab use

- Midi for sending commands to QLab from programmable keys on mixing consoles (something I do a lot)

The next one up I was looking at was another Presonus, the 1818VSL.

At the price of £85 for the Behringer though I am tempted to give it a go? My main issue is with stability over anything else. On the Mac it uses standard core audio drivers so shouldn't be any better/worse than anything else?

Has anyone else used these interfaces and can give me any reviews?

Many thanks,

Archived