LED Followspotsj

paulears

Has anyone tried the newish Chinese 440W LED followspotsj? I tried one of the 200W LED ones last year and it was a bit dim, but for about five hundred quid, these could be quite handy for me. Usual stuff - colour wheel, iris and dimmer - with the colours accessed via buttons, plus a CT wheel too. Comes with a flight case too, so even less without it.

I'm happy with followspots based on the old GoldenScan shaped cases - I've had 4 of these so far and lifespan is limited by salt air and damp winters, so a couple of seasons is about it for clever lights with electronics. I usually think about 5 times the wattage - so these could be similar to a 2K Halogen, which won't be bright enough as the old ones are 1200W discharge. What do you think?

The YYT-320 is a 300W High Power LED Emitter that in their description "YYT-320 mean the panel type not the wattage. YYT-320 can be used for our LED 440W Follow Spot Light." which might explain why the 440W LED followspots are not as bright as they should be !

Chinese optics tend to be based on banging light out more than refined illumination. Another niggle with LED lights might be the availability of emitters and how easy they are to replace. It's not going to be great if a show is mid-run and something fails with no immediate replacement available.

Oh well, another year then. I've been hiring in a pair for three seasons now because I have lots of functioning follow spots, but not pairs. The brightest on still is a Pattern 765, which as yet hasn't been beate. As Clive suggested, I suspect, just decent optics rather than brute power. I have two of the Chinese Goldenscan types still working with robbed parts from their respective pair, but they take different 1200w lamps which don't match remoetely!

The biggest problem now is that a wash can be really bright with all the LED stuff, and dimmer follow spots don't cut through any longer, which they did with Fresnel and Par can colours.

Archived