Hanging 'Edison' light

taylord

Hi all,

I have a student doing set/lighting design. She would like to have 3 hanging lightbulbs which are controlled via our dimmer system. I'm looking for some tips on the best way to do this please?

My link (second picture along at the bottom of the page)

It may be that "Edison" refers to vintage style lamps, these are readily available on fleabay and elsewhere. Be certain to get the type with an actual wire filament, and not the LED style. The LED ones might not dim properly, but the genuine filament lamps will dim.

Order 3 lamps and preferably some spares, and 3 lamp holders to suit. The lamps come in both screw base, E27 and in bayonet base B22, either will be fine provided that you obtain matching holders.

If you do not need to dim the lamps individually then I would connect all 3 to the same plug, by means of a suitable junction box, thereby only taking up one dimmer channel.

There is nothing hard in the electrical connections, but in view of the fatal consequences of mistakes, seek advice from an electrician if in the slightest doubt.

As above.

I would use house (theatre) dimmers for it.

But talk to either Woking Theatre where you're performing or Sadlers Wells as they'll probably both have some you can borrow.

If not we're local(ish) can probably lend you something as it's a student production.

Edit: misunderstood the post, I think - photo isn't your production?

Brill. Thanks guys

Correct, photo isn’t mine. Just used for reference.

As above.

I would use house (theatre) dimmers for it.

But talk to either Woking Theatre where you're performing or Sadlers Wells as they'll probably both have some you can borrow.

If not we're local(ish) can probably lend you something as it's a student production.

Edit: misunderstood the post, I think - photo isn't your production?

Archived