Studding strength / Unicol grenade style fitting?

TomHoward

Is there another fitting more suited to general use that does the same as a Unicol grenade?

I have a bar, which I'd like to hang an active speaker about 1m below. I have a flying frame for the speaker which has a trigger clamp on it.

Speaker is approx 25kg excluding frame (HK L5 112FA)

Is it viable to drop the speaker on studding between the trigger clamp and frame? Looks a bit thin although visually.

A unicol generade fitting would allow me to use scaffold pole, which would look more substantial in the setting and hopefully not be prone to flex in the same way, but is it suitable for use outside of a Unicol setup, or is there a standard fitting that is more suited?

We've done similar using TV spigots and drop arms, such as these;

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_T45610

Very useful for getting a fill speaker peeping just below a balcony.

I'd still like to find a truly variable system for this as the length of pole required varies wildly from theatre to theatre, and a one size fits all solution would be great. I'd wondered if a pair of Reutlingers and steel wire arrangement could be used between the flying frame and half couplers with eyes. For a loudspeaker I can't see a reason why not.

Spigot attached to the speaker yoke, with a receiver on the bottom end of the pole, then a male spigot at the top of the pole going in to a receiver on the clamp.

The half couplers we have are quite old cast things. They're a bit more like a scaffold clamp (though they're not) with a spigot receiver cast in. Knowing where they came from they're probably ex BBC.

What do you use at the top of the drop arm to attach to a bar?

Spigot on the bottom, do you use the double ended ones with a spigot at the top into a receiver on a half coupler?

Go the Doughty website, search for "29mm receiver" and the world is your lobster.

Archived