Lighting Gauze Advice ?

Harvey

Hi Guys,

I'm in need of some advice...

I'm working on a production thats set is formed of 4 very large window frames that will have a gauze like material as the window pane: to be lit as if it were a cyclorama (But so we are still able to see the contrasts of the widow's frames.)

Here's a couple of pictures to show you what sorta thing I'm working with/Looking to acheive: https://ibb.co/nNfUAn / https://ibb.co/mcVUAn

To make sure that the contrasts of the window's frames are still visible, I'm planning on using LED Cyc Lights (PLCYC1s) upstage of the window panes. (Not sure that lighting from Downstage would give the right effect, but worried that lighting from upstage would cause the gauze to not look opaque?http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Could anyone please shed some light on what the best gauze/scrim material for light projection from behind would be? I've briefly read that Chameleon™ Scrim is the best for this application but wanted to know what peoples experience was with lighting something like this. I'm not sure something like sharks-tooth scrim is right for this application but of course open to suggestions. Just generally wanting to see what people think the best way to achieve this look is!

Thanks in advance for your help!! : )

Are you using gauze specifically so you can see through it to something behind or could you use a translucent material like rear projection screen instead?

No, as far as I know there wont be anything happening behind it so rear projection screen sounds like a good option :)

Although I need to be able to front project images from a projector onto the front of the screen at some points, and at other points use cyc lighting upstage of the screen to create a wash of colour on the surface. Am I still able to do this with a rear projection screen or will I not be able to project onto the front of it?

Thanks for your help!

Are you using gauze specifically so you can see through it to something behind or could you use a translucent material like rear projection screen instead?

No, as far as I know there wont be anything happening behind it so rear projection screen sounds like a good option :)

Although I need to be able to front project images from a projector onto the front of the screen at some points, and at other points use cyc lighting upstage of the screen to create a wash of colour on the surface. Am I still able to do this with a rear projection screen or will I not be able to project onto the front of it?

Thanks for your help!

you can get projection material that is designed for projection from both directions. I think it's called "Twin White" or something like that, made by Rosco.

or you could try material like muslin, with a closer weave than a scrim, which I think would be opaque regardless of whether it is lit from behind or in front. Muslin is pretty cheap from a dress fabric shop so buy some to experiment with, you'd of course have to look into the flame retardency.

We recently did Arcadia where we wanted the window material to show when lit from behind, and to project on the front, but also to allow characters moving behind the windows to be visible as forms. We glazed the windows with hampshire frost, which worked quite well, although a heavier frost would have been usable if we hadn't been too worried about figures being visible through the windows.

We recently did Arcadia where we wanted the window material to show when lit from behind, and to project on the front, but also to allow characters moving behind the windows to be visible as forms. We glazed the windows with hampshire frost, which worked quite well, although a heavier frost would have been usable if we hadn't been too worried about figures being visible through the windows.

Agh! Hadn't thought to look in to this! I think we will end up using something like Lee 216 White Diffusion for the windows as we don't need figures to be visible through the windows and it is ALOT more budget friendly than trying to source 14.8m x 4.8m of a rear projection screen! Did you find that the front projection worked well onto the frost filter?

Thanks for the help! :)

Archived