Best 3 Pipe Truss

sam.henderson

Hi all,

Just wondering what is everyones preferred 3 pipe truss (bearing in mind that I am looking to hire it so stuff that is available in the hire market).

So far I have been looking at litestructures Megalite 3 (which looks good) and Opti's Trilite.

Any other suggestions and whats your favorite to use (this is for a theatre production and will be on show so it has to look good btw).

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Edit: Spell Checked

Sam

You will probably find that most hire companies will only stock one type of three pipe truss, so your choices will be relatively limited. Locally to you, I know of stocks of Trilite, Astralite and Slick truss. The Slick has a much higher rating than Trlilite, with Astralite falling in the middle. What sort of span do you require, and what junctions? Again the availability of this will be a problem - especially if you require anything unusual.

Peter

Thanks for the response Peter,

I will require some junctions (don't know how to describe them but they aren't that strange)

The Structure is going to be quite large (pretty much one horizontal with 4 verticals). I am not loading it with lanterns (no movers or anything of that weight) so Trilite is an option.

I think Astralite may be one to look at. Who supplies it locally out of interest, I don't think Stage or Fineline do?!?

Thanks,

Sam

Bright* in Taunton have a limited supply to Astralite, I believe.

Edit You could try talking to LiteStructures, who manufacture Astralite - they'll be able to point you in the direction of stockists.

Fineline hold Thomas Superlite 12" Triangle which should fit the bill, just what corners you require will be the limiting factor??? The finish on it is as you would expect for rental truss but it certainly isn't scruffy. Alternatively they have a huge stock of 12" GP Box and corner blocks or 12" Supertruss if square section will suffice..

I'm with Gareth

Litebeam from slick easy to get hold of there are allot of options on junctions

Loadings are good

easy to assemble and disassemble if you get the pin's in the right way around as the sockets are tapered

The only other thing to take note of is if you are using it apex down is the load figers are different. (they derate quite allot)

Em

Sam,

Utopium have got the slick, if you prefer that.

DSA

EDIT: Enlightened in bath (above) also has Penn (plus Total Fabrication and Tomcat). I have seen the penn box section in use and it looks quite good although has an interesting surface effect so may not shine as much as, say trilite does.

Archived