Risk Assessments, Evacuation Plans etc

I was wondering what is actually required for a show in a school with regards to evacuation plans, risk assessments, etc.

I had a quick ;) and I couldn't see anything.

More specifically, I'd like to know what is considered reasonable in having edges of rostra/staging marked so performers can see the edge and not fall off.

Thanks,

Chris

I'm presuming that you're a student. Teachers should have done all the risk assesments and have emergency plans sorted themselves, you should ask to see copies if you think that you need to know.

As for marking the edges of the stage, we tend to put white masking tape around the edges.

A school will usually have an evacuation plan that is school wide - including routes to be taken, a single meeting point (often on an oval), and should have some form of fire warden for each building.

As far as RA's for a school go, they are usually extreamly stringent in some aspects, but not in others. For example, a candle on stage is usually considered fine by a school, but some propper venues will not have a bar of it.

Even if your school does not require you to perform RA, if you plan on doing any external theatre in a capacity, do it anyway. Knowing how to do a thorough RA is a good thing. If you can, definatly peruse the schools RA's too, compare notes, etc.

As for the rostra, your RA of the set should indicate what you need to do - ie the stage is painted black, and so is the rostra, in low light, the edge cannot be seen, and there are actors unpon it........ Well you need to make it seen. Masking tape is the most common, or a single brush stroke of white matt paint arround the external edges. Because I don't trust actors as far as I could throw them with two broken arms, I would bring the line in about 1/2 a cm from the edge... There is something about ammeatures that seems to make them think they need to be on the edge of any rostra.

From my experience of shows in schools, all the major H&S worries will have been looked at by the school (fire etc.). However, it is always best to check with the Site Management team - in many cases it'll be they that have overall responsibility. We were lucky to have a technician with Risk Management training who would check out our plans to see if we were "safe". He was of the opinion that if the students carried out a risk assessment, they would be more inclined to follow it (rather than just "forget" to read the one staff wrote). This impressed the Fire Officer to allow us to hold a "Battle of the Bands" event during the fire service strike, as we had adequately thought about crew roles during an evacuation, first aid capability etc (bear in mind, the science department were not allowed to use bunsen burners outside of teaching hours).

As for marking the stage edge, we were lucky to have a wood strip running on the edge which generally provided a high enough contrast against the stage floor. But to mark the edge of stage, white insulating tape was used. When using the trapdoor, we decided to use fluorescent orange gaffa tape so that there would be a clear even when smoke was used - it worked a treat, the cast even avoided it when it was closed ;) .

I've seen grey gaffa used to mark the edge of steps, but I found it slippery, especially for any cast not wearing proper footwear.

Hope this helps!

Im my time in theatre, well amdram ive found that if anyone asks you everything on the stage has been treated with Flambar of someother flame retardant spray. I mean how are they going to check? Set light to it!!!

SM

Im my time in theatre, well amdram ive found that if anyone asks you everything on the stage has been treated with Flambar of someother flame retardant spray. I mean how are they going to check? Set light to it!!!

SM

Do you not think that's a slightly ...errr....dangerous way to go about things? What if you really did have a fire? What would you say at the inquest? ;) :P

...or by testing a sample with a lighter? If the sample happens to be on your biggest, most expensive set piece which goes up in flames then its your fault. You told the venue that you were flame proof.

You'll have fun if that ever happens! Most I have been asked to do is to demonstrate that a small sample is proofed. I didn't have a problem because the set was flameproofed, and we had some extra material treated the same. I think the question that SoundMan has to ask is would he rather pay £ for flambar, or be responsible for a fire hazard? I know my answer...

Archived