Fish Plates

Fleeting

Hi,

We recently had a winch bar installed at our theatre. The bar had to be joined with a fish plate. The fish plate was loose on the bar when it was tighnened up. The rigging company wrapped the bar with gaffer tape before re-securing the fish plate. My boss was horrified to see this.

Now as far as I'm concerned this is an "aceptable practise", but does anyone know different? The max load on the bar is 250Kgs if anybody is interested.

Fleeting

Hmmm.... I'm not convinced that this is acceptable practice in an installation. Fair enough on a temporary bar perhaps. But I have an inherent distrust of fishplate bar joiners anyway... ;)

What happens when the gaffer tape ages and it starts to loosen?

Hi,

I'm not that convinced either. The Kee-Clamp sausage is not designed for horizontal load, so the only other fitting that I know is a spigot, bolted both sides. Unless anybody else can think of another way on aluminium 48od tube?

Fleeting

I would be very interested to know what the test procedure was that made this a 250KG WLL in the first place?

Who tested it, how and do you have a certificate that states the tested load and Working Load Limit?

Also, I am assuming that the Fish Plates were fitted when the bar was installed. If they were fitted as a mod or after the test certificate was issued then the bar needs re-testing.

I think you need to talk with the installation company and see their test procedures. I think it will make interesting reading. As for Gaffer taping it up. I know gaffer tape is great but I don't think its load bearing qualities are in LOLER or PUWER :angry:

Hi,

The bar was load tested by hanging stage weights evenly distributed along it's length. The test certificate is to follow. The company that installed it is a reputable rigging company. The bar was a new install using no existing parts. I agree that gaffa tape probably doesn't appear in LOLER or PUWER regulations, and does matt have a different breaking strain than standard?

Fleeting

Presumably the tape was used as a packer and does not actually accept the load. Still poor practice, having the right size fittings for the tube would seem to be the way to go. I wonder why conventional scaff external sleeve joiners are not used?

Absolutely spot on Nick. Problem is, whenever the bar moves, if tape is used in place of a correct fitting part I assume that there will be movement and deflection on the bar (whenever loaded). This will exaggerate over time.

Whilst it is probably not a critical problem, it is bad practice and I would think it looks somewhat like an amateur job. Not something that you would be proud to be associated with.

From what you have said, the company used the right system of testing. This is good because some companies rely solely on calculations. Something I would never recommend as each installation is different and by loading the system you have a good idea that everything is ok.

Sounds like more a case of bad finishing of a job than something dangerous. Still, not the way I would want thousands of pounds of work to look myself.

P.S make sure you get your certificates!!!

Hi,

A bit of a update, When we came to winch the bar out it wouldn't go out far enough (4 lines on a swivel clew). We had the company come back in on friday and shorten the lines so we could get the bar out. And guess who didn't load test the bar aftter the modifications...

I agree with the packing after time will compress and the joint willl become loose and possible seperate. The fish plate was aquired in a hurry from a local Theatrical suppliers. At least they didn't do what I've seen in the past, take the fish plate and gentle modify it with a hammer (OK, beat the Cr*p out of it) to get it to fit.

Fleeting.

Archived