IP-based comms - experiences?

Hello All,

My company are looking at moving down the IP comms route, to gradually replace our ageing Telex system.

The systems which seem like the biggest contenders at the moment are Green-Go and Studio Technologies' Dante system.

I like the idea of using Dante for the increased flexibility this could offer, such as taking sound directly from sound consoles, or using DVS as additional stations. However the green-go system may offer more plug-and-play ease of use.

I'm looking for anyone who has first-hand, real-world experience of these products (or other recommendations) who would be willing to offer a review!

Many thanks in advance,

David

I've used the green go system that one of my corporate clients has invested in, and love the ability to have direct conversations with specific stations, for example as LD I can talk on the "show" ring, or directly to my dimmer tech, or directly to the video racks engineer, all with the same headset. Often you get a client on the comms ring, and if you set up two groups, one with client and one without you can have private conversations that exclude the client, which is a real bonus. This was not the current "x" range, they own the older green go beltpacks. The expense and the complexity make it unnecessary for my own uses, which are more live music, where it's just LD to followspots and dimmers, so I wouldn't recommend it for that, but for an event with a lot of separate departments and group calling it's fantastic. Can't comment on how plug and play it is though, as was just a user, but it didn't look too complicated

Hello All,

My company are looking at moving down the IP comms route, to gradually replace our ageing Telex system.

The systems which seem like the biggest contenders at the moment are Green-Go and Studio Technologies' Dante system.

I like the idea of using Dante for the increased flexibility this could offer, such as taking sound directly from sound consoles, or using DVS as additional stations. However the green-go system may offer more plug-and-play ease of use.

I'm looking for anyone who has first-hand, real-world experience of these products (or other recommendations) who would be willing to offer a review!

Many thanks in advance,

David

I have only had experience with the Clear Com Helix system. It is pretty flexible, but doesn't have the multichannel stations Green Go has. that said it works well and has so far been reliable.

Mac

• 2 months later...

Riedel is fab and we have lots and lots of it at SKY TV.

Riedel as it is used in most situations is not IP comms, except between Artist frames. The Riedel C3 packs are AES distribution of 2ch "dial ups" that are created in the Artist and distributed via C44+ power supplies. Riedel Tango panels are networked, but I don't know how much of it is out there yet. FS RF comms is closer to what I think the OP was asking about because each pack gets registered with the FS system, although it will not run through switches. Riedel Bolero RF comms is also networked, and unlike FS the antennas do work through switches.

The fully IP comms I'm aware of are ClearCom Helixnet and GreenGo. Helixnet is quite nice although there is some latency. There is less latency if you use the packs that use CAT5 cable and power them with a POE switch, but there is still some. It is most noticeable if you are having a conversation on comms with someone sitting right next to you, You will hear the latency as a loss of audio quality. The GreenGo system has both packs and panels and while I have not used it, I have been told it is quite good.

Mac

Riedel is fab and we have lots and lots of it at SKY TV.

Riedel as it is used in most situations is not IP comms, except between Artist frames. The Riedel C3 packs are AES distribution of 2ch "dial ups" that are created in the Artist and distributed via C44+ power supplies. Riedel Tango panels are networked, but I don't know how much of it is out there yet. FS RF comms is closer to what I think the OP was asking about because each pack gets registered with the FS system, although it will not run through switches. Riedel Bolero RF comms is also networked, and unlike FS the antennas do work through switches.

The fully IP comms I'm aware of are ClearCom Helixnet and GreenGo. Helixnet is quite nice although there is some latency. There is less latency if you use the packs that use CAT5 cable and power them with a POE switch, but there is still some. It is most noticeable if you are having a conversation on comms with someone sitting right next to you, You will hear the latency as a loss of audio quality. The GreenGo system has both packs and panels and while I have not used it, I have been told it is quite good.

Mac

Latest Riedel panels are ip based

https://www.riedel.net/en/products/intercom/intercom-panels/2300-series-smartpanel/

using AES67. Bolero has just been installed at TV Centre and is used on Strictly come dancing, and I believe at the national theatre now as well. It is DECT based RF comms from ip aerials with low latency. (DECT is ideal rather than ip for the RF link as the 2.4G channels tend to get swamped by hotspots if you have an audience)

It's hard to offer more help without background of what you are trying to achieve, how many wired or radio packs you need, number of users, individual conferences

Archived