Laser measures

numberwrong

Hi,

The time hascome to get my own laser measure instead of relying on other people

I am an LD /Lampy so need it for the usual which includes taking measurements on the odd site-visit. Small and light is good, I like to take a decent amount of tools/kit with me to jobs and it all adds up.

Will I regret it if I buy a cheap one?

Was thinking this one with a 100m range

Any thoughts?

I have the D2. After a number of cheap lasers where there was a fair amount of lag in taking measurements and a sanity check was often required (there was the occasional off the wall reading).

Bluetooth sync to my iPad was a great bonus.

I'd go for an X310 over a D2.

Being a bit of a luddite I have no use for the Bluetooth, but I like the 'ruggedised' case (to IP65) and the built-in inclinometer is extremely useful. It allows accurate measurements of height or horizontal distance without the need for a horizontal or vertical beam.

You can ping eg: the circle front from the DSE and get a single read out of distance (as with any measure) plus the angle of the beam from horizontal, the vertical height and the horizontal distance. You can measure the height of the back row of the balcony above the stage - there's no easy way to do that without the inclinometer. (So no easy way to draw an accurate plan or elevation.)

You know what I would really like to see on a laser measure device? A flip out screen - so that when measuring from the floor to a truss or something I could just place it on the floor and press the button and see the distance.

Without having to lie on my belly on the floor beside it to see the screen!

You know what I would really like to see on a laser measure device? A flip out screen - so that when measuring from the floor to a truss or something I could just place it on the floor and press the button and see the distance.

Without having to lie on my belly on the floor beside it to see the screen!

I've just bought my guys at work a set of flukes with the removeable screens. I think they're a great idea!

I didn't realise how the price of the Leica units had crashed since they faced competition. That's good.

I bought one of the early Stanley units from an overseas suppliers before the price bubble burst and the only things I regretted about it were its range and sampling time. The latter when you're trying to get a height to an awkward surface like a fixed bar and you have to keep trying to get a reading where you held the thing stable enough to get a solid reading.

The X310 with ruggedised IP65 case is very tempting. My own approach to digitising results is to doodle them on paper and then take a photo for preservation in the Google cloud.

Leica all the way. Remember them presenting to us on my Civil Engineering course back in 2002 and the ability to get Bulldozers working to within around +-5mm over distances of several kM on construction sites by using GPS systems. Got me hooked.... Have had a old A2 I think that's still going strong after about 10 years, and recently bought the D2BT for the toolbox.

I have a DeWalt DW040 which I think cost me about £90 a few years back, which was then about half the price of a Bosch or Leica. Still works and is rugged and accurate.

Also worth mentioning of course that these things are tremendous fun if you have a cat. They cannot get enough of chasing that little dot around.

Archived