Recording HD (Component) to Grass Valley Turbo iDDR

Solstace

Is this device limited to SD resolutions for recording? I can't see a clear statement either way from Googling and manual-skimming. My guess is that it's SD-only given a) the markings on the inputs and b) its use of MPEG-2 and the data rates offered.

Trying to increase quality of a time-delay recording we're doing again for an upcoming annual gig. I've finally been able to negotiate an HD source, and am working to be able to record it for time delay purposes. Even the official solution provided by the broadcaster is limited to HD (1080i) over analog component - their "pro" offerings neither giving HD-SDI nor non-encrypted HDMI signals.

So - last year our video guy abandoned all hope, grabbed a composite 480i feed and recorded that for later playout - which as one can imagine looked awful on several 16-foot and one 21-foot projection screen(s). Some testing today feeding an Analog Way QuickVu switcher has shown that... 480P over Component is a massive improvement over 480i Composite, so if we're stuck with that then we'll go with it and still be happier than last year - given that viewing distances will mean most folk won't *see* much of an improvement beyond that jump. But if I can persuade the hired iDDR (First generation) to record at 720 or 1080... that would be a big win.

Nope it won’t playback HD , I would either go PC based with something like a black magic intensity shuttle to grab the component or for standalone rec something like a HyperDeck Studio Pro ,if you need to go any distance may be better converting to SDI then it’s only one cable

Archived