Underwhelmed with new macbook

paulears

Pfff Macbook Pro indeed. The Apple manufacturing and marketing industry tail will continue to wag the poor befuddled and easily impressed consumer dog, and you will basically take what you are given because they know best. Thats what is going on there.

Looking at my old Macbook Pro I see on the side:

• Power input
  • RJ45
  • Firewire
  • Displayport
  • USB x 2
  • SD card slot
  • 3.5mm audio socket

I can plug pretty much anything into that thing, without the need for any stupid adaptors. Thanks Apple. Thanks for "having the courage" to remove all kind of usefulness from your products in order to make them easier and cheaper for you to manufacture.

I am glad I have no investment in the Apple ecosystem at all apart from this old clunky laptop. The days of Apple being a major force in creative hardware and software are gone.

Totally agree with you Judge. MacBook Pro used to mean that it had things professional users might find useful, most importantly all the ports. Having to play dongle madness to plug a USB memory stick in is just silly - several IT types have told me not to worry, soon USB-C will be the standard for everything... but we've heard that before. I'm sure there will be another magic port that will solve all our problems in the next iteration of the MBP and oh look, we've got to buy yet another set of dongles and adaptors.

All those adapters (they are adapters, not dongles strictly speaking) cost about £30 each. Plus a decent hub - you are looking at around £100 regain the functionality you used to have.

Plus you then have a heap of cables hanging off your laptop and more things to stuff into your bag.

Funny old thing progress isn't it?

Archived