Sound from one side, intermittently

posty07

Hi all,

I've had this Beringer 2000w lightweight amp for about 2 years now with no problems until now

So it gets vibrated a fair amount in the box trailer it travels in but is well protected by the flight case

However a couple of weeks ago it started only powering one side, channel 1

Most the time after powering off and on again it works fine for the rest of the night

Was hoping someone might have seen this before and be able to point me in the right direction?

I should mention it gets quite cold in the trailer but not damp

Thanks!

1. Flight cases, unless padded, offer little or no protection against vibration, so you could have a dodgy connection almost anywhere

2. Cold, when brought into a warm venue, means condensation, so it might just a problem with the recent cold weather, so once the power supply has warmed up a bit the condensation has evaporated enough to clear the problem.

Hmm ok, I'll have to have a look for any obvious signs of loose connections

Come to think of it, the flight case is an open type and the bar that they're screwed into fell off so the came loose in the trailer a few weeks back. Maybe something has been knocked out of place inside..

2. Cold, when brought into a warm venue, means condensation, so it might just a problem with the recent cold weather, so once the power supply has warmed up a bit the condensation has evaporated enough to clear the problem.

^^^ This.

Have had exactly the same with a D12s doing this on powerup, after being powered down overnight in marquees. The problem goes away after 15 mins or so.

This is why, at outdoor events spanning multiple days, desks & amps are usually left on. They don't draw much current when in standby, but the system electronics stay warm.

Does this happen from cold switch-on or after the amp has been running for a while? If it's the latter, could be an overheating issue. If the former, maybe something's wrong with the protection circuitry. Out of interest, which amp series is it? I haven't heard much praise for reliability of their iNuke lightweight series (certainly not the high output models, anyway). If you rely on this amp then it might be a good time to get a spare!

Archived