Show Xpress - replace lighting desk?

Cctheatre

Hi,

I run a small touring company. We are looking to replace our equipment (once we can afford it) and someone has suggested showXpress which sounds too good to be true. Ideally we'd like to upgrade to led lights and controller - zero88 flx but the show express is about £400 plus a small laptop against £1300 - Anyone got any experience of this and how might it work for a touring company and how it might work if we went to a large venue and wanted to transfer our lighting programme to their rig. Not something we've done before but may need to next year.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for reading

What alternatives have you looked at?

In the software+laptop+dongle arena the "usual suspects" (e.g. Avolites, Chamsys, ETC, Zero88, MA, Martin etc) have offerings too, and you might find the price competitive. Using a well known brand's software makes it a little more likely that your show will transfer to an in house system - I'd say you're more likely to find one of the aforementioned in a largish venue than a Chauvet system.

If you are presenting linear cue by cue theatre, I'd stick with ETC and go for an EOS Nomad based setup. It would then make your show file very transferable, as the majority of theatres are now running EOS based desks.

Another idea is to look at Qlab's new lighting functionality.

I use Showxpress with an apc40 controller for live gigs - its good

So much easier to program and use than the pearl tiger in the venue.

I found a show express interface in the venue I work at, it's good but now I'm

thinking of moving to Avolites titan one software and interface - cost £200

Whereas the Showxpress interface I use is roughly £500

The Avolites solution is cheaper and more compatible with other venues.

It's fully compatible with the Avolites Tigertouch lighting desks.

Download Showxpress and Avolites Titan software - both free and have a play

note: titan one really needs a multi touch screen

What alternatives have you looked at?

In the software+laptop+dongle arena the "usual suspects" (e.g. Avolites, Chamsys, ETC, Zero88, MA, Martin etc) have offerings too, and you might find the price competitive. Using a well known brand's software makes it a little more likely that your show will transfer to an in house system - I'd say you're more likely to find one of the aforementioned in a largish venue than a Chauvet system.

Hi - thanks for the reply

We used to use a Zero88 alcora (was stolen) and Zero88 have kindly lent us a Jester console for a few weeks - these are my only experience with desks. I'm a total novice to the led lighting world and really want to find out what's out there for small scale theatre. I will look up your suggestions though - that's a good place to start. I have a steep learning curve ahead

If you are presenting linear cue by cue theatre, I'd stick with ETC and go for an EOS Nomad based setup. It would then make your show file very transferable, as the majority of theatres are now running EOS based desks.

Another idea is to look at Qlab's new lighting functionality.

Thanks - I use Qlab gobutton for sound and its really easy - I will have a look. Yes we are presenting linear cue by cue so I will check out ETC thanks

I use Showxpress with an apc40 controller for live gigs - its good

So much easier to program and use than the pearl tiger in the venue.

I found a show express interface in the venue I work at, it's good but now I'm

thinking of moving to Avolites titan one software and interface - cost £200

Whereas the Showxpress interface I use is roughly £500

The Avolites solution is cheaper and more compatible with other venues.

It's fully compatible with the Avolites Tigertouch lighting desks.

Download Showxpress and Avolites Titan software - both free and have a play

note: titan one really needs a multi touch screen

Thanks Jason - I will d that and have a play - I guess I'm used to faders and dials and a little worried about computers crashing - not something that's ever happened with a normal desk

Another thing to consider is whether you think you'll need a control surface with faders and encoders, o whether you can live with a purely PC style display, keyboard and mouse for control.

Yep - you're right I might not be ready for that Alister

Try a used Akai apc40 usb control surface.

In show express there's a way to patch the

midi sliders, buttons and knobs directly to

DMX channels, I use it to control the dimmers.

I run Xpress on a 2 year old macbook pro, I've had

no mid show crashes. I have had some issues running

with tablet control, it has caused Show Xpress to

abruptly quit so I don't use it during shows.

Try a used Akai apc40 usb control surface.

In show express there's a way to patch the

midi sliders, buttons and knobs directly to

DMX channels, I use it to control the dimmers.

Can you change pages on the faders to control more than 8 dimmer channels? Also, can you drop scene/submasters onto the faders to busk a show?

Archived