Moving yoke lights

StuartS

Is it reasonable to mount moving yoke fixtures with their bases to a vertical wall? Apart from the mental dexterity required to interpret pan and tilt, would this cause stress on the yoke bearings and be detrimental to the lifespan of the fixture?

that varies for each type of mover.

the respective manual should show which orientations in which they can be mounted, failing that a bit judgement would be needed whether to try it or not.

generally the more expensive major brands will rig any way or at least state any limitations in the manual.

cheaper more generic units are likely to be limited to vertical or inverted but some units may be capable, especially if the head is lightweight and well balanced.

Be wary if you try an unknown unit, it may work at first but the motor/bearings may not last long. Any sign of struggling would be a sign that it's not up to it.

1511801021[/url]' post='557233']

What fixtures are they? Or is this a hypothetical question?

It’s a hypothetical question but the thinking behind it is to use moving head zoom LED washes as multipurpose fixtures in a hall which has some architectural merit so it would be handy to direct light upwards as well as downward. Events are mainly music of various genres so there would be some waggling but not to the extent of a touring rock rig.Any recommendations of suitable fixtures would be handy.

It's a hypothetical question but the thinking behind it is to use moving head zoom LED washes as multipurpose fixtures in a hall which has some architectural merit so it would be handy to direct light upwards as well as downward. Events are mainly music of various genres so there would be some waggling but not to the extent of a touring rock rig.Any recommendations of suitable fixtures would be handy.

Prolights Diamond range fixtures would be good for this and they are light enough that sideways mount would be no problem.

...Although I can't imagine how you'd mount them to do both of those tasks well. If they are OK for uplighting surely they'll be really low and in your face for stage lighting.

I've just had a look at the manuals for what I would call 3 popular choices - Chauvet Rogues, Martin Rush and Robe Robins. Whereas Chauvet make no reference to orientation, the Rush and Robin manuals both explicitly say horizontal mounting only, no vertical mounting.

I guess if you were mounting them for a short term event there shouldn't be a problem - but I guess your hypothetical need is for a permanent solution? In this case I would probably look at uplighting as a separate system rather than use a mover in this configuration. This also has benefits of a separate control system - so anyone can turn on the uplighters without having to use a main control desk?

The GLP X4, conversely, lists mounting on its stand and hanging vertically and horizontally:

The IMPRESSION X4 is fully operational whether it hangs or is mounted to thewall. It can also be operated while standing on the floor.

So it does vary and each manufacturer's data should be consulted.

• 4 weeks later...
Mounting vertically makes for a very... frustrating... behaviour of pan and tilt. While the lantern can often hit all of the same positions you'd want to hit mounted horizontally, the route it has to take is unintuitive and the movement effects you get are irritatingly messed up. You can't just swap pan and tilt on the desk as generally moving lights have a much larger range of pan than tilt. Also, a horizontally mounted moving light will tilt in a perfectly vertical plan, whereas one mounted vertically will not pan in a vertical plane, as the axis of"tilt" movement is defined by the "pan" movement. So, even when it's theoretically possible, it's NOT desirable if you can avoid it. I've used it on gigs occasionally but for an install it would be incredibly annoying for any visiting LD if you're ever likely to have them. If you never, or very rarely, do then it's worth looking at.

Archived