Finding new old stock

alistermorton

Last week we were having a conversation about finding new old stock parts, that are sitting on some store room shelf gathering dust.

The specific thing that prompted this was the LBX we have (which Dave Drv had a loo at) where the mobo has been badly damaged by leakage. We have a couple of GSXs too, which are still useful and one day they're likely to give up the ghost too. But there must be plenty of equipment up and down countries that would still be useful, if only that obsolete part could be found at a reasonable cost. For myself, I'd not want to be paying a couple of hundred to keep this particualr desk going since an alternative PC based solution could be found, but other stuff might have a different value to each individual

So the thing we were wondering is, how on earth do you find out if there is some stash of stuff somewhere? Someone running a lighting company with long obsolete parts gathering dust?

So the thing we were wondering is, how on earth do you find out if there is some stash of stuff somewhere? Someone running a lighting company with long obsolete parts gathering dust?

Sadly the last lighting company I worked for never really liked me keeping such stashes but since I've set out on my own, I'm trying to accumulate such a stock of odds & sods to help keep older kit going. Some of it I keep "live" as slave stock but with the knowledge I can rob parts from them.

eBay is a decent source for some of the most common parts and I do tend to remind folks when I see stuff coming to it's end that I'll take stuff off their hands -

though having repaired a lot of Zero88 kit I do tend to accumulate that but I have got things like P28 lampholders "just in case". Things like friction lock disks from Patt 23's et al defy me so far because folks are selling whole lanterns as 'vintage' but in a push I know where's some I can purloin :P

Archived