Cat 5 Cable Protection

Caerdydd

I suspect that's designed more for installation than repeated winding on a drum. I've seen plenty of multis made up of separate cables and covered in similar braiding but they're always figure of eighted in a trunk.

Better education for techs in how to look after cables required...

I suspect that's designed more for installation than repeated winding on a drum. I've seen plenty of multis made up of separate cables and covered in similar braiding but they're always figure of eighted in a trunk.

Or harsher beatings.

A company I work for bought a 100m LX multi with 4x DMX 1x Cat5 and a 16A on 2.5mm (yes only one cat5). The whole lot is protected in that braiding stuff held with heat shrink at each end. Van Damme also sold them a reel to put the thing on which is a total arse to real in that kind of cable. Trunk all the way IMO.

Anyway, that particular cable is used and abused, coiled in by local crew and has had a bit of a beating over the years. The braiding has done pretty well. once I coiled it in after an award show and it had a 30cm piece of jagged wood sticking out of it (got stuck in the braiding) I removed the wood an all was fine, cables worked after.

Not sure how they fair in mud though

They seam to be used to make up custom multicores. normally you would need some kind of redundancy on an 80m run. Why not get 2 or 3 runs of Cat5 and add the braiding as well. the total thickness of the multi should help its durability when getting snagged plus you have a few spares if one is dammaged.

Perhaps worth noting that Bryant cable is unshielded, unlike the Etherflex. Some applications require the shield e.g. Behringer/Midas X/M series desks so you might be limiting the usefulness of the cable by choosing that type.

Archived