ETC Ion & NeoPixels

Roderick

My next show features 4 large engraved perspex panels. Each is surrounded by 7.2 meters of NeoPixel strip, 60 pixels/metre.

Running the whole show from a ETC Ion with these panels on a separate universe.

Any tips to make programming a little easier?

The current plan is to create a few groups with colour washes to get the basics right and then tinker with individual pixels to get the details right.

But limited in time, now there's a surprise, and welcoming all advice I can get!

If the pixels are RGB and you want individual control over each one then you'll need about 2 and a half universes to control them all. I don't know if it will make much difference to you, but the latest version of the EOS software adds media server functionality, and might unlock extra channels depending on which license you've got for your desk. It didn't add any extra channels to our Element....

The pixelmapping Virtual Media Server has been in Eos software for many years.

If you want individual pixel control this is probably the best way to do it.

There are built-in effect generators which will probably do most of what you want.

The easiest way to get 'custom' effects into the frames is likely to be still images - as while you can use video media, creating the videos themselves would probably take longer than you have.

Eos 2.6 changed all Eos family consoles to have "standard" and "unlocked" output counts. The exact numbers depends on your hardware platform - Ion is either 1K/3K (XP) or 1K/6K (Win7).

Element was already a standard/unlocked (1024 outputs, 256/512 desk channels) so there was no change there, instead most of the features previously only available on Ion and above were enabled.

See the release note and manual supplements for details.

Archived