Turbosound TXD 15M

Mr.Si

Ok, next topic for my fellow soundies.

I am need to buy at least 4 floor monitors, but I can't afford things like the TFM450's or probably the L-Acoustics monitors or the d&B MAX speakers, but, I am aware of the Turbosound TXD monitors.

I am only interested in Unpowered monitors with passive crossovers within (not Biamped).

I've only ever had Peavey Eurosys 1M's (the old version) which were really 1k dominant even with working tweeters.

My question(s) to you guys/gals (or the other way round if you prefer) is/are:

1. Have any of you used them? either the 12" or the 15"

2. What results have you achieved?

3. How effective are they at rejecting feedback under normal using conditions? (Cardioid SM58's for vocals etc)

4. Are there any alternatives?

5. Are there any other alternatives which would be comparable? - what sort of price per pair/each?

I would also be interested in Second hand stuff, but don't know where to look.

I would like to pay on 0% finance over several months if anyone knows what might be possible.

Thanks for your help (in advance).

Best Regards,

Simon :huh:

The 450's are bi-amped so you won't want them. I've got 3 TFM-212's which I love, they have a nice low profile, and can be very, very loud if you need it. Spares, are a bit dear, but mine have been pretty bomb proof.

paul

They have a fairly neutral sound, so don't need radical eq to work well with 58's. Used them with Jim Davidson - who had his own monitors too, and despite trying very hard to make 'em squeal, they managed well. He love apogee (old series) and carries a set of monitors around with him. I hate the sound, but it'sa personal thing, I guess.

bit expensive though! and only 4ohm.

But nice and long and I guess more even spread of sound due to the layout of the drivers?

if I'd had the money, it probably wouldn't have been an issue for the bi-amping thing, but for my market, there's no point.

cheers for your response though

Simon

I've had chance to play with both and would say that for the price the TXD wedges are a bargain. Depending on your application and general useage would really dictate which one is best for your needs. The TXD15M is passive or active so you've always got the choice to upgrade to biamp if you require extra welly and control. The 12M is nice for lower level situation and more vocal/acoustic/light rock than full on dirty rock but it really does depend what its all working behind, where you see yourself working in a few years and whether you'll need to biamp. Probably worth considering a combination of both.

Nice and flexible as you've got a tophat in one of the handle boxes so you can use for FoH speakers on sticks. delays or front fill. Have a speakon on either end so you can a) link pairs together qand/or b) use them as mirror pairs.

Plus you seem to live just down the road from them which is always convenient for spares, advice etc.

I've always found them very helpful, interested and generally eager to sort you out. Give them a bell and you'll probably be able to borrow some to try out our have a mess about up at the factory. Chat to Tim or Dom in the office.

Seems sensible as you're "local"

Cheers

Milo

Thanks Milo,

Do they do that sort of thing then? - Lend out for trials etc? or Hire for a small fee or something?

It's be great if they did, I've got a coupld of things coming up where I'd like to try 4 of 'em out.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Milo,

Do they do that sort of thing then? - Lend out for trials etc? or Hire for a small fee or something?

It's be great if they did, I've got a coupld of things coming up where I'd like to try 4 of 'em out.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but you know how life can be sometimes.

Anyway onto your wedges

They will probably have some in demo stock or can put you in touch with a dealer who can arrange it for you. I've always found them pretty helpful when it comes to thing like that or sorting spares out.

Let us know how you get on

Milo

Archived