Dead Luminex DMX512-A splitter - any ideas?

Moorhouses

Hi all,

Had one of our Luminex DMX512-A 2.10 splitters die on us today. It stopped outputting and started making some weird clicking sounds. I powered down and had a look which all seemed ok, but now refuses to power on..

I've just had a quote of £1015 to replace it so ideally - a fix would be great.

I know it's vague, but does anyone have any thoughts on where to look?

Cheers,

Before someone who knows more comes along, my first guess would be the Power module.If you open the device up look for any blown capacitors or any obvious burns on chips on the circuit board.I've come across Behringer products that have made a ticking noise and then blown one of the legs off one of the power chips.

Edward

Clicking noise sounds like the power supply that's in hickup mode. This happens when it cannot deliver the requested load. I have seen some DCDC convertors of the outputs break down, and shorting their input side.

ToDo: Check if the output of the power supply is shorted, and in that case check all DCDC convertor blocks. The broken one will probably be warmer than the others when you power the splitter for a few minutes.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

Had a bit of a busy weekend here so not had chance to take a proper look, but from the initial glance, it didn't appear to have anything obviously wrong - capacitors, all connections seemed fine.

I'll take a proper look and see if there's anything obvious. I'll check the DC converter blocks, thanks for the tip!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Archived