magic Q. DMX in / record

Richard CSL

So a feature I am looking for is the ability to record DMX in. I know this is not possible with other software, but I see from the DMX in / out page that DMX in is an option, is this for recording the input from an existing desk and up grading to Magic Q?

If it does this feature should be sung from the rooftops. As transition from any system would only require recording existing shows cue by cue for continuity.

So on the Chamsys forum I have been told that this is possible by the moderator ChamsysBe, however as usual he likes everybody to find things for themselves and is very cryptic in his replys.

Can anybody tell me how to do this please.

Hi Richard,

Yes MagicQ certainly does support capturing DMX input.

You'll first need to setup the input up per universe under: Setup > View DMX I/O and make sure the patch on both systems matches.

To grab the input go to the programmer window, in the 'view levels' view of the window, hold down SHIFT and select 'Capture input'

MagicQ will then grab the input on the enabled universes and put this into the programmer so you can store this into cues etc.

You can also selectively include DMX input for certain fixtures, to do this press CTRL and INCLUDE and then ENTER. This will include the DMX input data for the selected heads into the programmer.

Any problems with this do let me know.

Can the DMX input be used to control the sub masters? If it can then it would give incoming shows a simple means of controlling LED washes, for example.

Yes you can do this! On PC systems you are limited to the Main playbacks 1-10 (when out of 'demo mode'). For Consoles you can also control wing playbacks.

Thanks for that. Limiting this style of control to just 10 playbacks seems a bit arbitrary. Why not allow DMX triggering for all playbacks?

[/quote

Playbacks 11-202 can only be controlled via our wings (Extra /Stadium/Playback/Execute wings) only on PC systems.

This is for security reasons intentionally, MagicQ is free software with 64 universes fully enabled.

Along with the 10 Playbacks can you control via DMX on PC systems, you can also activate stacks in the stack store - no limit on this.

Archived