Stage monitors for theatre?

michaelyallop

Afternoon all,

We have been using JBL control 5 speakers, mainly as they were just lying around, mounted to our grid for stage monitors in our 250 seat theatre. the stage is only around 11metres square with a pros arch. Until now they have been ok, but since our last dance show, very loud music, they have since blown. Even with a fairly aggressive compressor on the output from the desk to the speakers. The dance teacher has a tendancey to download from youtube and get really bad quality tracks that have volume levels all over the place, making it fairly difficult to set and forget.

Does anyone have a preference of make a model that you could recommend us using/buying instead. Preferably passive as the cabling etc is in situ and the amp seems totally fine.

Our main FOH is a Nexo PS8 system with subs.

Thanks All

If you are grid hanging, you don't want anything too big - maybe 10" LF driver at most.

However, dance schools, or more accurately, their leaders are probably hoofing the levels to get more bass, so it may be worth while looking at some sub for them onstage when those types of events are in.

Regarding models, there are a myriad of options out there and we don't know your budget range. But if they are up in the air from a grid, they are pretty far from the ears of the performers compared to floor or stand, so you want to factor that into their achievable SPL level and make sure they can put out enough level to do the job.

If you are grid hanging, you don't want anything too big - maybe 10" LF driver at most.

However, dance schools, or more accurately, their leaders are probably hoofing the levels to get more bass, so it may be worth while looking at some sub for them onstage when those types of events are in.

Regarding models, there are a myriad of options out there and we don't know your budget range. But if they are up in the air from a grid, they are pretty far from the ears of the performers compared to floor or stand, so you want to factor that into their achievable SPL level and make sure they can put out enough level to do the job.

I had though t of a floor mounted sub but I need them to be out of the reach of prying hands etc. The control 5's did a job, they where ok when I used them as fold back for small band/singer type gigs.

I'm not new to the industry so have used assorts in the best and have a few ideas in my head, just haven't purchased anything for a little while. I didn't know if anyone had tried anything new that they would recommend from one of the big manufacturers.

Budget wise, its not behringer cheap but then again its not D&B quality needed either. I've used RCF etc in the past but as said earlier its not something I have purchased for a little while. I was thinking maybe RCF or HK or something of that elk. Any other options or makes would suffice.

I think your right about the 10" LF driver thing. The control 5s fit nicely onto the truss grid and I wouldn't want anything too bulky.

You really can't go wrong with Thomann's own brand offerings. They have proper flying hardware, sound pretty good and are pretty cheap too. They're probably a bit small for your work, but I have their single and dual driver 4" cabinets for fills and low level stage monitoring and they're great. They go up to some pretty decent sized boxes so there should be something in their range for you.

You really can't go wrong with Thomann's own brand offerings.

Agreed - we bought some of the tBox 104s last year. Yes, I'd go for an E3 every time in preference, but at the price (£45ish last I looked) they're great.

I had though t of a floor mounted sub but I need them to be out of the reach of prying hands etc. The control 5's did a job, they where ok when I used them as fold back for small band/singer type gigs.

I'm not new to the industry so have used assorts in the best and have a few ideas in my head, just haven't purchased anything for a little while. I didn't know if anyone had tried anything new that they would recommend from one of the big manufacturers.

Budget wise, its not behringer cheap but then again its not D&B quality needed either. I've used RCF etc in the past but as said earlier its not something I have purchased for a little while. I was thinking maybe RCF or HK or something of that elk. Any other options or makes would suffice.

I think your right about the 10" LF driver thing. The control 5s fit nicely onto the truss grid and I wouldn't want anything too bulky.

I'm a huge fan of RCF's active SMA stage monitors - lots of level and they sound pretty good without any major EQ required for vocalists - lots of presence for them to cut through a noisy stage and good feedback rejection.

RCF don't do many passive options these days, but the "ART" series of cabinets come as active or passive so you could do worse than look at those and get a demo.

As others have noted, Thomann's TBOX/TBONE kit is getting more and more reliable with good value results these days and at their budget range, kit almost becomes "consumable".

The box pro look really good actually. I may take the advice and run with it. I want to rig them horizontally, Has anyone used anything particular for this?

Ta

The boxes with 4" drivers (Achat 104) come with an L bracket that you can attach a hook clamp or similar to. That said, given that you're running bass-heavy program material you probably need a slightly larger box. The 8" one (Achat 108CX) has an optional bracket which should let you hang it how you want.

What are you intending to attach them to?

The box pro look really good actually. I may take the advice and run with it. I want to rig them horizontally, Has anyone used anything particular for this?

Ta

The boxes with 4" drivers (Achat 104) come with an L bracket that you can attach a hook clamp or similar to. That said, given that you're running bass-heavy program material you probably need a slightly larger box. The 8" one (Achat 108CX) has an optional bracket which should let you hang it how you want.

What are you intending to attach them to?

Thanks. Truss Grid. I didn't want to just wrap a steel or sling (with a safety of course) around the truss. ben looking at a few doughty clamp style hook eyes, but they are fairly pricey.

Have you considered EV ZX1's? Little more price wise but 8" driver, rotatable horn and a bit more power than the Thomann cabs. Flying hardware available - the truss clamps are pretty good (I have a pair I'd be willing to sell if you wanted!)...

To add to what jevans said we also have some QSC E10, which are a 10" passive box which are relatively cheap they only fly horizontally.

If you want something that is difficult to blow I think we still have some Bose 802 to sell :)

If you are going to have people hoofing levels for dance music it's worth investing in a loudspeaker management system which offers some degree of protection. Yes it's expensive but it's cheaper than repeatedly blowing speakers.

The trouble is that just compression will not save you if the tracks are so badly mangled and clipped that you've got a square wave going in to the amps. However some of the better digital LMSes and processing amplifiers will make a valiant attempt to save your HF drivers and sometimes even succeed.

To add to what jevans said we also have some QSC E10, which are a 10" passive box which are relatively cheap they only fly horizontally.

If you want something that is difficult to blow I think we still have some Bose 802 to sell :)

If you are going to have people hoofing levels for dance music it's worth investing in a loudspeaker management system which offers some degree of protection. Yes it's expensive but it's cheaper than repeatedly blowing speakers.

The trouble is that just compression will not save you if the tracks are so badly mangled and clipped that you've got a square wave going in to the amps. However some of the better digital LMSes and processing amplifiers will make a valiant attempt to save your HF drivers and sometimes even succeed.

Ha thanks. We have 2 pairs of 802's. She managed to blow those too....... ha

Archived