Audio from projector

taylord

Evening all,

Quick question about the audio out from a short throw projector. Would this feed straight into a set of powered speakers or is it wise to take it to an amp first? The output is a 3.5mm jack.

Evening all,

Quick question about the audio out from a short throw projector. Would this feed straight into a set of powered speakers or is it wise to take it to an amp first? The output is a 3.5mm jack.

It depends what you need to do (i.e. post specific models and application requirements). The 3.5mm output will be line level, so it should feed most powered speakers which will take a consumer line level input (this is largely why projectors have audio at all - they act as audio source switch and sometimes (remote) volume control).

Probably won't work well with powered speakers designed for high-level balanced inputs on XLRs, in which case you would need an active line level converter - not exactly "an amp".

I'd usually try to take the audio direct from the source rather than via the projector.

Two reasons:

The projector volume controls won't have any effect, which means one less place for things to be turned down or muted.

If the users are plugging in via VGA, there won't be any audio sent to the projector without a separate cable. Only HDMI embeds the audio down the same cable.

Obviously it depends on your particular situation and the competence of the users, but I figure the less potential there is for things to go wrong, the better...

Archived