Advanced Lighting Systems Enigma

ahocknul04

Hello all.

Recently I was handed a rare piece of history from the nightclub side of lighting. This lighting desk dates back quite a few years, I have in my possession an Advanced Lighting Systems Enigma control board. But, I don't however have the PC which has the required input and outs for this to work, which also has the DOS software which boots into the enigma program.

I'm incredibly keen to know if anybody is familiar with these desks, and on the off chance that someone may or may not have the hardware in question to make this desk work again.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Ally Mullins

The enigma was designed in Edinburgh in the mid eighties by Neil Munro and ALS was an ofshoot of Studio 4 who are still in existence and still run by John McPhail. At the time it was probably the most advanced desk available and developed to run some pretty big disco lighting instals which was studio 4s forte. Century 2000 and the Tunnel spring to mind....

• 3 years later...

Hello all.

Recently I was handed a rare piece of history from the nightclub side of lighting. This lighting desk dates back quite a few years, I have in my possession an Advanced Lighting Systems Enigma control board. But, I don't however have the PC which has the required input and outs for this to work, which also has the DOS software which boots into the enigma program.

I'm incredibly keen to know if anybody is familiar with these desks, and on the off chance that someone may or may not have the hardware in question to make this desk work again.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Ally Mullins

That was one of the first desks I used way back in the late 80's and Early 90's. It was a pain to learn but once mastered it was a beast and very intuitive. It literally knocked the socks off of the competition in its class. I would never use it for something like Theatre/ TV but as a robust, on the fly desk (for its time) it was pretty good. A pity they no longer produce it, I can only imagine how it would work today. I have been looking for a Front End Enigma desk for nostalgia but find it complete it almost impossible as most have been skipped by now. The very early ones needed DAC's to run the Dimmer Packs of the day, the later were direct DMX. Good luck in your search !

• 4 weeks later...

hello

I know the start of this was a long time ago...

I have a computer made by ALS with the enigma sticker on the back. I assume that is the software that is on it. the pc has a huge add in card with DMX1 and DMX2 stickers next to the rear outputs. If somebody wants this PC they can have it. you just need to pay to ship it to you from USA portland Oregon 97209

you can email me JeremyHarnack@gmail.com