stage blood removal

So, we're doing the Nigerian version of Oedipus Rex, and our performing area is carpeted with woven sea grass from Crucial Trading. As you probably know, King Oedipus gets an eye problem at the end of the play, and this results in him dripping stage blood all over our nice sea grass. The supplier of the sea grass says that it won't stain, and that stage management can clean it off with simple soap and hot water, but I am worried that the foam underlay will develope a stain over the course of the four week run, resulting in a nice pink trail visible to the audience each night.

Has anyone tried working with sea grass and stage blood?

Does anyone know a sure fire method of removing it?

Thanks very much.

The fastest way I've found to get rid of stage blood is toilet bleach - we used Tesco's best, but any will do!

Put a cupful in a bucket of water and mop the area.

We were using it on an emulsion painted stage, and it stripped a small amount of the paint off. This wasn't a problem for us as the paint was several coats thick and the runs was short.

However, I've no idea what it might do to seagrass or the foam underneath.

Best bet would be to try it on a small sample.

Yep, Vanish is good.

The trick with costumes is to not let them dry before you try to get the blood out, so it is probably worth cleaning the floor at the end of the performance rather than the next day (sorry).

The foam will probably clean OK, I would worry more that you will soon strip any coating off the seagrass, and then this will stain, though a little bleach may help this if your matting is already very pale.

If your Lighting Designer is into strong colours this will also help mask any slight stain.

Good Luck

Archived