The Other Place...

Ben

do you still visit "the other place" (the green room) and if so do you like it?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. do you still visit "the other place" (the green room) and if so do you like it?

• I visit and like it
    • I visit but Dont like it
    • I Dont visit anymore
    • I never did visit

following a thread going on in the green room I was curious as to how many of us still visit it and how many of us like it?

im sure some of you know the thread im refering to, its titled "time wasters on this forum"

Ben

Guest lightnix

Do you mean the thread that starts out being called "Green Room Forum", which goes on to mention the "Time Waisters" thread to which you refer ?

I must admit I do occasionally pop in there to have a look, but haven't posted anything for months. Many of the threads are questions repeated from here and most of the others are of little interest to me or beyond my narrow field of expertise.

There is still an unpleasant, sniping tone to a number of the posts, which is what lead to the formation of the Blue Room in the first place. Despite promises to the contrary, the Green Room still appears to be largely unmoderated. I find the message board format rather clunky and limited in functionality.

I also have to disagree with the suggestion (made "next door") that there should be some kind of "merger" between the Green and Blue Rooms, I simply don't see what it would achieve, other than to narrow the appeal of these forums. The Green Room (as an ABTT Forum) appeals mainly to those who work in Theatre, the Blue Room attracts people from across the Entertainments Industry.

Hope this doesn't come across as a rant, it isn't meant to be.

Do you mean the thread that starts out being called "Green Room Forum", which goes on to mention the "Time Waisters" thread to which you refer ?

I must admit I do occasionally pop in there to have a look, but haven't posted anything for months. Many of the threads are questions repeated from here and most of the others are of little interest to me or beyond my narrow field of expertise.

There is still an unpleasant, sniping tone to a number of the posts, which is what lead to the formation of the Blue Room in the first place. Despite promises to the contrary, the Green Room still appears to be largely unmoderated. I find the message board format rather clunky and limited in functionality.

I also have to disagree with the suggestion (made "next door") that there should be some kind of "merger" between the Green and Blue Rooms, I simply don't see what it would achieve, other than to narrow the appeal of these forums. The Green Room (as an ABTT Forum) appeals mainly to those who work in Theatre, the Blue Room attracts people from across the Entertainments Industry.

Hope this doesn't come across as a rant, it isn't meant to be.

Well said...

I pop over the road about twice a week compaired to the twice a day I used to visit. Visit here about 4/5 times a day. Must start to wean myself off...

I have voted, but I'm not entirely sure why. If you don't like the Other Place, or perhaps we should call it "the ABTT website Green Room Forum" or some such... don't visit. I use both sites, and although there are many overlaps, there are enough differences to persuade me that both sites are worth the occasional visit. There are also things about both sites that I don't particularly like, bot I don't feel strongly enough about to make a fuss about them. I think that these things have to be largely "caveat emptor" - if people don't like something or don't trust them, they are not obliged to buy or visit.... I would like to repeat something I said in the green room thread on the ABTT site - that is that a little courtesy goes a long way. That is probably something slightly more in evidence in this location than in some areas of the other, but otherwise I have no preference for the way the topics are covered in either.

ity is not really as simple as if you dont like it dont visit, I do still visit and I dont like it, I still visit for the simple reason that it has got some topics that are not on here and different people answer them as not everyone does visit here and not everyone answers in both if they do visit both.

the simple fact is that we visit because we still feel that we want to be involved and this is not dependant on us liking it or not. I along with others as the poll shows dislike it but stil visit and im sure many others would agree its simply because the topics are not all the same and nor are the responses.

ben - I agree - it is not a simple matter. If the ABTT forum provides an alternative that you need to visit, then it has some value for you, and it is not a case of "liking" or "disliking". these are the terms that this issue has been discussed in, but perhaps they are not the right terms. I visit both sites for precisely the reasons you state - whether I "like" them or not depends on wheter I get the information / gossip / entertainment I am looking for. And no, like most people, I hope, I don't find the flaming entertaining. Nothing's perfect in this world.....

Archived