Smoke machine issues

adamantiumxt

We are hoping to use a smoke machine for a school play this Saturday but it seems to be broken to some extent. When you run it then if you're lucky it will produce smoke but probably just hum quietly. If you leave it running then it sometimes becomes incredibly loud, but still doesn't pump smoke machine. I've tried taking the pump apart, but it was all fine as the machine has been barely used, as well as running the machine with vinegar instead of smoke fluid to clean out the inside but this too doesn't help in the long term - it might pump smoke for a cycle. However, running it every day I sometimes get lucky and it will work fine.

Does anybody have any idea on how to fix this, because with the play on Friday there isn't enough​ time to get a new one.

(It's a cheap 300/400w unit with an area for ice)

If it can't be fixed then it's not too bad as the smoke isn't critical for the play

Sounds like an air lock in the fluid feed pipe or the pump seals have failed. "Loud" is when the pump has air in it. When the pump gets dry then the seals stop working well and they can't prime themselves.

I have sometimes fixed this by syringing fluid into the pipe until it is full, then hold the pipe up in the air so gravity helps you get it into the pump.

If this works and the pump primes, then fill the pipe again and dunk it quickly into the fluid to avoid any more air in it.

Archived