LEDJ Intense 9P10 One colour failed

ojc123

We've had some Intense 9p10 for a while now and they've given good service. Three of them have developed a fault where one colour has failed. Two are missing white and one is missing amber.

They're out of warranty.

I realise they're budget fixtures, and I expect negative answers, but asking costs nothing.

Is it possible to repair these? Is it worthwhile?

Does anyone have an experience of this and is it typical of these fixtures?

Any thoughts welcome.

Usually it is the led driver, if all of one colour has stopped working, which is going to be a surface mount package. It is possible to repair these with a small tip soldering iron, lots of patience and a steady hand. I use a surface mount rework station, but easiest option is to try and purchase a replacement led driver pcb. If the price is reasonable, get a spare.

Prolight will repair these units for you - the only difference being whether they're in warranty (in which case you don't pay for repair) or not in warranty.

Seek out the dealer you originally bought them from and ask them to arrange return for you or talk to Prolight to see if they'll take them back from you. Chris Beesley will be along in a while with a definitive answer :)

If Prolight won't take them back from you i.e. they want the return to be from a dealer then there's plenty of us about who'd be happy to help I'm sure.

Completely possible to fix these yourself. All the LEDs are in series so one failing takes out the whole lot. Either a dry joint or failed LED. Bridge each LED in turn to short past it (for not long) you'll find the failed one.

The V4 boards are easy to do as they can be removed with a bit of hot air. The V4.1 boards have the heatsink die of the LED soldered to the board and are a bit of a pig to swap. Each uses a different LED die too.

You'll need heatsink paste handy as you need to replace this between the PCB and the aluminium chassis.

We've had 14 of these, all of which have lost White or Amber. We used to get replacement LEDs for free but I believe we're now having to pay for them.

Josh

Archived