Modding Cans

Can somebody tell me wether or not it is possible to modify a CANS unit to add a push to talk switch in as well as the normal push and hold. I was planning to just wire it in paralel but thought I would check first.

Matthew

The Guy I normally hire most of my cans from has modded all his so that they are all just PTT simply by replacing the switches with un-latching ones.

This does work amazingly well, (particularly when it is not a 100% professional crew production,) in cutting down random noise and chatter.

He also replaced some of the loop out XLRs' with jacks wired across the PTT switch on some belt-packs, so that sections where you can't hold the pack, and you need to talk eg sound, vision etc can use a standard yamaha keyboard footswitch.

This does work verry well.

He also replaced some of the loop out XLRs' with jacks wired across the PTT switch on some belt-packs, so that sections where you can't hold the pack, and you need to talk eg sound, vision etc can use a standard yamaha keyboard footswitch.

Now there's a damn fine idea. I don't see why wiring the switches in parallel wouldn't work, so long as some bozo doesn't leave the push to hold switch on :P

Regards,

Rich.

... pity they have a habit of snapping off when you drop the box!

Along with the volume knob :P

Some latching talk switches have a small metal link that you can remove to make them non-latching.

PS. James, like the footswitch idea! :(

If the beltback is a Canford TecPro unit, it will be quite hard to add a second button, as the existing talk button uses all 6 connections of a double-pole, double-throw switch. I think the older strand units also worked in a similar way. Its much easier to remove the mechanical catch from the switch, which will transform from a latching switch into a momentary.

Martin

I have come across belt packs with a toggle switch - centre = off, one way latched, the other was sprung to give you your PTT function. unfortunately it was a long time ago, and I can't remember who made them, but I like this idea better than two parallel switches, as if you are fumbling around in gloomy conditions, you can do it by touch, not sight - one switch, both jobs. I will see if I can find out who made them...

I think they were white or off white in colour, but I still can't remember who made them.... a sign of old age I think

Originally made for Metro Audio, now sold directly by Stonewood Audio, who are the people who made them all along - afair.

As an aside, was interested to see you can still get the digital routing matrix thingy once also sold by Metro - the ACCENT 8x8, by HACOUSTO Manufacturing BV of the Netherlands.

• 2 weeks later...
I have come across belt packs with a toggle switch - centre = off, one way latched, the other was sprung to give you your PTT function. unfortunately it was a long time ago, and I can't remember who made them, but I like this idea better than two parallel switches, as if you are fumbling around in gloomy conditions, you can do it by touch, not sight - one switch, both jobs. I will see if I can find out who made them...

We have those at school (well ones that do the same thing anyway - might not be the same ones :blink:). Unfortunatley, we just broke up for the six weeks, so I wont know who made them since then.

However, Stonewood seems to stick in my mind ?

Edit: Darn, should have read the post above mine. Sorry ;)

Archived