Stained glass effect using S4 gobos

vinntec

I am looking at projecting a stained glass window effect into a church scene for a set without walls. It looks like Rosco 77802 + 43801 (which is a metal gobo + kaleidoscope glass) is the most common combination. What holder(s) do I need for an ETC Source 4 assuming size B? I can't figure out if there is a single holder which takes the two together or if I need two holders: a conventional holder for the metal and an iris-slot gobo holder for the glass?

Gobo holders for Source 4:

GH56, B size bezelled glass, gobo slot

GH59, B size metal, gobo slot

GH61, A size metal, iris slot

GH62, A size bezelled glass, iris slot

Goboplus seem to do a couple of others, a GH77 may be for a B size bezelled glass gobo in the iris slot. There isn't a holder that fits both, but you could experiment with a GH56 for both. However, this may lead to uneven heating in the glass gobo with cracking consequences.

Hi Alister and Jonathan - thanks for your comments. It looks like the safest way is to put the metal gobo into GH59 in the gobo slot, and the prismatic into GH77 in the iris slot (I need to double check this as it says "effects slot"). It is not helpful that the holders have disappeared off the Rosco site!

Before glass slides became a practicability the usual method was a church window gobo combined with strips of colour in the gel frame. Obviously there was no detail in the "staining", but it gave quite a convincing effect.

There used to be a three-part gobo - three lanterns with gobos of different parts of the church window image which when overlaid with a different colour in each lantern created one image.* Theoretically more realistic than the random colour of a glass colorizer or a split gel, but in practice a bit of a pain - the only time I saw it used, (other than in the catalogue) the LD spent as long focusing these three lights as he did on the rest of the rig.

I did relights on a show where the LD used the green / yellow coloured discs and leafy gobos to do soft foliage, and as far as I remember we put glass and metal in the same holder with no problems. Not sure if that was the right thing to do. And if you need a sharp image of the window, but soft image of the colours, then probably best to separate them.

*I seem to remember there was an interesting additive colour-mixing effect which meant that it looked like there were more than three colours, but I may be recalling this from 30 odd years ago with a bit of "creative memory"...

There used to be a three-part gobo - three lanterns with gobos of different parts of the church window image which when overlaid with a different colour in each lantern created one image

We have the set. It is as fiddly to use as you might imagine.

There used to be a three-part gobo - three lanterns with gobos of different parts of the church window image which when overlaid with a different colour in each lantern created one image.

It still exists in the Rosco catalogue but it's 5-parts now! The cost of five gobos covers the cost of the prismatic!

Some time back I created a church window effect by projecting two stock stainless steel window gobos, one using a peacock gel and the other red. I seem to remember one gobo was York Minster but I can't remember the other but it had the same basic outline but simpler 'leading'. The result was white where they coincided and coloured elsewhere. In our case it was back projected from two S4 junior zooms on some grey Rosco BP vinyl screen material built into the set.

There used to be a three-part gobo - three lanterns with gobos of different parts of the church window image which when overlaid with a different colour in each lantern created one image.

It still exists in the Rosco catalogue but it's 5-parts now! The cost of five gobos covers the cost of the prismatic!

The one I meant may well have had five parts - I'm recalling this from 30 years ago!

:)

The one I meant may well have had five parts - I'm recalling this from 30 years ago!

:)

We have had that set for 25 or 30 years as well. Haven't used the full set of 5 for years but still occasionally use just two parts, the red cross and the O/W Jesus figure. Our set is particularly horrible as the set that was sent was part Rosco and part DHA and the images cut into the gobo differed in size between brands so we had to use them in zooms. ...and the zooms we had were the horrible Strand Lekoliite 15°-40° Zoom (2206).

To add to the knowledge base of split gels for stained glass windows etc, look at this SplitGel article on the GAM website for good visual examples of using split gels.

To all who have given suggestions...

It certainly seems as though a split-gel approach is worth considering rather than the full blown prismatic, especially as here I only need the effect of one shining on the floor and actors.

Archived