Compressors..... Which one for live sound?

benge

ok, that question needs to be proceeded by the budget you have - I presume you're buying.

I have to say that for me, I use Behringer Composer Pro's and Behringer Multicom Pro's (Yes everyone, I know I have said I don't like the brand. But their compressors are excellent).

In the same ish price bracket you have the dBx 266, which is a good unit. not used that one much though.

Up from that I guess it's gonna be KT's and BSS's and XTA's. - That's going out of my league though.

ok, that question needs to be proceeded by the budget you have - I presume you're buying.

I have to say that for me, I use Behringer Composer Pro's and Behringer Multicom Pro's (Yes everyone, I know I have said I don't like the brand. But their compressors are excellent).

In the same ish price bracket you have the dBx 266, which is a good unit. not used that one much though.

Up from that I guess it's gonna be KT's and BSS's and XTA's. - That's going out of my league though.

I second the behringer composer comment. While they may not be the most prestigous or the highest quality sound reinforcement brand, their compressors are very good. The new pro-xl range are particularly good, definately a step up from the old composer range.

I have also used the KT ones a bit, as well as the DBX 266 and both are good units. However, I didnt really feel that the DBX was worth the extra over the new behringer pro xl stuff, buit then again I didnt use it on the best rig so my opinion may have been limited by my application of it. The klark technik ones are very good, but they are pricey - so as Mr. Si says, its a budget question there.

My Budget:

I've been looking at about £150 inc Vat..... I've been looking at the dbx 266XL.... I've used the Behringers myself....

I'm more after reliability as well as a good compressor.

Thanks

Ben

We have a rack of up to 5 behringer autocoms for musicals, and I also run three in the student radio, and I have found them to be completely reliable. THe ones we use for musicals lead a hard life, being bashed around and racked/un-racked on a regular basis... and have never had any problems with reliability

IMHO they're great for the money

We have a rack of up to 5 behringer autocoms for musicals, and I also run three in the student radio, and I have found them to be completely reliable. THe ones we use for musicals lead a hard life, being bashed around and racked/un-racked on a regular basis... and have never had any problems with reliability

IMHO they're great for the money

Yeah, the behringers are built pretty solid. I had one die on me though the other day, the PSU blew, but it was like 5+ years old and had been chucked around a fair bit so its not massivly surprising.

Again I'd favour the Behringer Composers or XL-series, or the DBX mentioned. I love of them dearly, though mostly end up using the Composers. I've also had good results with the Alesis 3630, though it's been a while since I last used one so I can't really remember how it compares sound-wise.

Also you might consider the Drawmer range - I've had a good run with them too!

C.

Archived