Boom arms

ninjadingle

Hi there,

Looking for something like the Doughty T30600 boom arm, but need it to be around 2' long. Basically trying to fly a row of battens to do cyc wash off a bar that's 2 1/2' from the cyc, so see this as an easier option than rigging a new bar!

Any products / opinions welcome...

Boom arms are designed to hold fixtures away from a vertical bar (a boom)

This sounds like you have a horizontal bar and you want to rig something horizontally away from it. You can't do that as the bar will just rotate. Or maybe I am misunderstanding you.

No - you're correct.

I was thinking that with the amount of contact the clamp gives on the bar it would hold the load at a 90 deg orientation, much in the same way a trigger clamp would. But now I can see that the torque involved would be much greater, and would slip. Time to move the bar then!

You'd need to arrange some auxiliary support otherwise the arrangement will just rotate (unless it's welded up!).

Tried that long ago (2' long arm just supporting a single prelude F) and learnt very quickly that it just droops without extra support.

Edit: SP

Archived