Double ended hook clamps

Charlotte_R

Hi all,

I hope you had a good Christmas! Apologies for the delay, but I have got some photos for you to peruse.

http://imgur.com/a/Vaow6 (sorry, not sure how to embed them)

As you can see, the hook clamps are just resting on top of the beams. Unfortunately, we couldn't get up to see them close up tonight but the outer hook clamps are resting on un-secured packing pieces.

Does this change anyone's advice / opinion now that you have photos to work from?

Thanks,

Charlotte

Those double enders are substantial, and heavy - are you certain that they have not been produced specifically for that job? Difficult to see but the top is not a mirror image of the bottom - there isn't a thumbscrew? Is it possible that the top of the timber has a rebate cut into it that the bent end slots into? Perhaps a 75-100mm deep slot? The bar would then need lifting that far to come off, so would be inherently safe, especially with the weight of the horizontal bar and any kit. I'd be tempted to lift the bar out of the middle strap, and see how easy it is to disconnect the top from the timber. I wonder if it is in reality, quite a decent fixing. If you can lift the vertical just a small amount and have it easily detach from the timber, I'd be concerned, but I bet it won't be that simple.

Once it's folded over the beam at the top, how far down the other side does the metal extend? How high would it have to be lifted to fall off?

(Looks like the centre one is longer due to the different woodwork, but bar is still level at the bottom so might assume they may be custom made for the fit.)

Looking at the second photo, I'd be tempted to drill a small hole through the bracket, and then screw into the beam. You wouldn't need anything enormous, a standard woodscrew would bite in enough to stop any upward slippage.

http://I.imgur.com/FikA9Jk.jpg

Looking at the second photo, I'd be tempted to drill a small hole through the bracket, and then screw into the beam. You wouldn't need anything enormous, a standard woodscrew would bite in enough to stop any upward slippage.

http://I.imgur.com/FikA9Jk.jpg

You could just screw a flat plate into the top of the beam over the bracket to stop it lifting off, that would avoid drilling.

You could just screw a flat plate into the top of the beam over the bracket to stop it lifting off, that would avoid drilling.

That would work - and probably easier than drilling through a substantial piece of metal at height.

It could just be a case of a few of these, maybe trimmed to length.

Alternatively, some of this stuff would work if it needs to be more flexible.

Archived