X32 talkback over AES50

dbuckley

Just for info: On the X32 routing tab, one of the source options is AuxIn 1-6/TB, which routes the talkback mic input to the AES bus, whereupon it can pop out somewhere else as a shout output, say to feed the green room speakers.

Note that this feed is not switched by the mic button; it is a feed straight from the mic socket. How do I know this? When an actor mentioned to me "you do know we can hear every word you say over the speakers" :)

http://davidbuckley.name/pix/x32_aes_tbin.jpg

My shout mic I use for music PA type gigs is a Shure Unidyne. It donkeys years old (60s? 70s?), and was originally a high impedance mic with single core screened cable and a jackplug on it. Before it went in the bin I looked inside, and noted the capsule was the same as the low impedance balanced version, just with a transformer in there. So the tranny was ripped out, and a bit of the right sort of cable araldited into the base of the mic. At the same time, the wiring to the switch was removed..... I've shouted at stages from the late 70s with that mic. It's such a piece of junk no-one would ever consider robbing it.

For this theatre show, before I used the old shout mic I used the clearcom stage shout output, but its a line level output, and the X32 talkback input is mic level, so it was all a bit sensitive in the level control department. So I junked the clearcom feed and pulled the old shout mic out, not knowing the world of confusion I was about to walk into.

The replacement (yes, step forward mic number three) is an AKG gooseneck on a base with a talk button. It's what I historically used to use for theatrical applications, into a Rane CP60 zone controller, analogue days, but because the X32R had a pretty illuminated talk button on the front, I thought well, why not...

So there it is: the lure of the flashy light leading to downfall...

Archived