glare from lights

IA76

Hi

We have a small stage that we use for educational classes where a few people will be sitting at a table delivering the class.

Further back in the room we have some ceiling mounted LED mounted spotlights but the people teaching the class say that the lights shine in their eyes. How can we reduce this?

If we dim the lights then it is took dark on the stage.

Try and get the lights further apart, so they are more of a side light, instead of a front light. You should sit at the table, then look up to where you would like the light to come from. Or you could move their table to suit the light.

The basics of lighting design is:

Direction

Intensity

Shape

Colour

The flippant answer is "if it's not blinding you, you aren't being lit".

The sensible answer, as Don alludes, is to light from an angle rather than straight in. Lighting from above left and above right needs more fixtures than just lighting straight in but is less likely to dazzle and has a good chance of looking more natural, too. Try to teach your presenters not to look directly at the light, too.

Is this a contrast issue - are the people on "stage" who are trying to take the class looking out into the room to see the audience/student and are unable to do so due to the balance of lighting between stage and audience?

When I was totally technical I always blamed the performers and presenters as being 'touchy'. Now I frequently stand on stage and compare venue to venue by the squintiness of their physical layout. - a few degrees difference really does make a big difference that is genuinely not really noticed. I also think that it's worth some study as circle front profiles can be dealt with it's the ones just in your peripheral vision that mess me up?

Archived