Video Clip

diacong

I've looked through the forum but haven't been able an answer to my problem. In our next production we need an onstage TV to run a short video clip after one of the actors picks up and presses a remote control. I would really appreciate any advice as to how to implement this.

Should the TV be controlled from back stage or can we rely on the actors to do it themselves. I'm not inclined to go with the second of these as it would be yet another stress point for the cast. If the former how can we best implement it? I've looked at using VLC player and either a direct HDMI cable or Chromecast whilst these work it's hard not have a start up lag or having the control bars on screen.

Thanks and best wishes

I don't know what went wrong last time but here is my message without the html code.

Moderation: Not sure what you did but the new version was just as bad - copy and paste from something else often does it? Anyway, I fixed it for you. Paul

Last time we had to do something like this we ran the video clip on SFX (the days we'd use SCS) and cabled VGA direct from the computer running the clip into the TV. The remote didn't actually do anything, of course, just as light switches on stage don't do anything. I wouldn't trust the talent to stop or start any effect from the stage, I'd control everything from the control room.

You can do this with VLC.

Go into Tools, Preferences. Untick Integrate Video in interface. This separates the controls from the video.

Then go to Subtitles/OSD settings. Untick Enabl On Screen Display (OSD) and Show media title on video start.

You might have to go into Video settings and untick Windows decorations as well.

You can get your video to playback on the second screen and keep controls and playlists on the first screen.

Getting the video to appear on the second screen can sometimes be a bit of a faff but once you've got it setup VLC will remember settings. Important to note is that VLC does not apply most (if not all) saved settings until you quit and restart the program.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived