Short Throw Projectors on Stage

Weir69

One one show we did we had a circular screen and a projector both suspended on fly bars. Aligning those was "fun" but it worked remarkably well, probably helped by the screen being solid rather than fabric, so it didn't "billow" in draughts.

That's interesting. Was the screen flown in during the show? I still think this would be more hassle than a long throw projector though. Unfortunately I don't have a have a short throw projector to play, ahem, experiment with.

No, the screen and projector bars didn't move once they were set.

We did fly in a set of Olympic rings ... this was before the opening ceremony and we didn't know Danny Boyle was planning on "flying" a huge set of ring himself. Ours were going to be on fire too!

I was going to say, aligning them live could be quite difficult. Anyway thanks for the help.http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

One one show we did we had a circular screen and a projector both suspended on fly bars. Aligning those was "fun" but it worked remarkably well, probably helped by the screen being solid rather than fabric, so it didn't "billow" in draughts.

That's interesting. Was the screen flown in during the show? I still think this would be more hassle than a long throw projector though. Unfortunately I don't have a have a short throw projector to play, ahem, experiment with.

Where are you based? if very close to Dundee and a convenient time can be arranged then I can perhaps nip round and demonstrate a short throw projector

Where are you based? if very close to Dundee and a convenient time can be arranged then I can perhaps nip round and demonstrate a short throw projector

Thanks for the offer but I'm all the way up in Moray. Thanks again though.

Anywhere (reasonably) local you could hire one for a play research?

Aberdeen and Inverness both have companies offering dry hire, I doubt that the group would agree to hiring for experimental purposes though. It might be worthwhile getting in touch though as we will probably be hiring from one of them for the show anyway. Like I said, I think we will stick to a long throw projector as the more experienced people on here have pointed out quite a few problems I might face.

Archived