Two way push button switches

ojc123

I'm not in the habit of making things from scratch so I'm needing help with finding components.

Some of my student technicians have set themselves a simple cue light project to solve a particular problem. They need some reasonably robust push button switches with two way operation to set up an arrangement like the switches on a typical staircase. If I search for two way switches I seem only to get mains switches which are mostly d0m3st1c light switches. They've got their project working with some two way 4ut0-3l3l3ctr1cs toggle switches but push buttons would be more appropriate. Their project is 5V and very low current for a few LEDs.

Can any of you enlighten me what I need to search for to get suitable switches?

Thanks.

You need to search for SPDT by sounds of things.

SPDT = Single Pole, Double Throw (on-on or change-over)

SPST = Single Pole, Single Throw (simple on-off)

DPST = Double Pole, Single Throw (Two on-off in same switch)

DPDT = Double Pole, Double Throw (Two on-on change-overs in same switch)

Not sure how common SPDT (or DPDT) push buttons are but those are the terms you need to use when searching.

Thanks for the replies. I've got some latching DPDT footswitches for effects pedals. They should be ideal.

Just a thought - effect pedal switches are quite hard to press (designed for being stomped on), might be a bit much for hand operation?

That's exactly what we're going to do with them!

It wasn't the original plan but it suits our purpose.

Archived