LED Profile / Fresnel

ghance

Hi

Any recommendations for value LED theatrical instruments?

I've a lecture / studio space in need of a flexible rig.

Previously I've used Strand Prelude & Selecon Acclaim profiles & fresnels.

Next year I want to use LED / RGB+something.

A colleague suggested the Stagg range as they seemed more robust / less plastic compared to say Chauvet Ovation.

I instantly winced at the thought of a budget MI brand making theatrical lanterns.. But I'm open minded.

What do you like / saw at Plasa and thought maybe.,

Cheers

.gh

Hi

A colleague suggested the Stagg range as they seemed more robust / less plastic compared to say Chauvet Ovation.

I instantly winced at the thought of a budget MI brand making theatrical lanterns.. But I'm open minded.

You might wince but the Stagg profiles are actually not a bad idea (and I'm not biased because I've had some input in to their development process) as they're bright, easy to use and reliable plus they have a fab warranty.

The larger sized budget profiles look a bit boxy but to be honest, for a drama studio environment that won't detract - the only thing you might consider is that the RGBW profile does have some fan noise and in a small(ish) studio this might be objectionable. You might find though that the smaller units would suit your space...

Talk to your local EMD Stagg dealer about a demo - Jeff is very good at supporting his dealers with demos and he's an ex theatre technician so he knows the constraints you're working under...

I've not yet been able to get hands on with the Chauvet Ovation colour mixing profile (E910FC) but in theory it should give a more useful range of pale colour tints than an RGBW mixing fixture as it has amber and lime green emitters. Certainly the ETC Lustr units which have a similar colour mixing system can do.

It is a lot more expensive than those Stagg profiles though.

Archived