Flats - steel or timber?

Hi

I'm just thinking about making up some flattage - it will be used for one set, and it may be stored or it may be scrapped, I haven't decided for certain yet.

At it's highest it's 16ft but it has a steel deck behind at 8ft (for a practical upstairs window) so can be supported high.

If I was thinking of making them of 20mm or 25mm steel box section, does anybody have any standard plans for a flat like that with bolting brackets / positioning sorted etc, or experience that it's a terrible idea to make them of steel? Or is timber still the most widely used? Timber always seems to wobble for me..

T

Go for timber - you'll be able to cut them down, screw things to them, repaint them and they'll probably last longer than a metal set as well as being infinitely more usable; Wobble is as much down to design and manufacturing tolerance as it is materials used. Steel also corrodes much quicker and needs more active maintenance; steel flats with a drink spilled on them or left outside on a damp day will start corroding within a day or two (either causing staining or structural issues) and can be unsalvagable if left unchecked for a winter. Obviously if manufactured professionally and properly coated/treated steel flats are amazing and last decades but a DIY build will be more expensive and less durable than DIY wooden flats.

Steel thin enough to not be heavy is usually bendier (is that a real word?) than timber framing, which with the usual flip out bracing on pin hinges is still pretty rigid. I found one show that came through with steel framed flats a nightmare because it was amazingly heavy!

Archived