led burn out

timb3

I have recently bought a used cheap (oh! dear you know whats coming next....!) "Color imagination" moving head with 36 x 10w RGBW LEDs. I have been summing all four colours to add a bit of extra brightness just for occasional blinder effects,

I have noticed that quite a few of the LEDS have now blown.

Question one - would this be a heat issue and should

I therefore never use all four colours at once?

Question 2- anyone know of very cheap LED replacements as this was only a cheap fixture.

Question 3 -should I just bin it and save up for a proper one? ( I think I know the answer to this one!)

Many thanks for any help offered.

Tim

When I've had this happen, it's been either bad solder joints, or blown LED driver chips. Repairing either is beyond my hamfisted soldering skills, but I have had someone repair dry joints on cheap LED fixtures for me before. Sourcing replacement driver chips would be difficult, and swapping them over is not a trivial job.

Firstly identify what the led emitter chips are , single col or cob, what wattage are they, then search ebay for the type, now purchase a few extras.

OK that is the easy bit, next identify with a sharpie the broken / faulty leds,. Heat solder the connecting legs and remove from the circuit gently. next carefully remove/ destroy the lens with a pair of pliers, you wil be faced with a brass coloured stud, this will have to be heated with a soldering iron till it comes free, now clean the solder pad, preferably with solder wick remover. you will need 3M heat transferring two part glue to glue in the new leds. Now solder the tabs down to the substrate. Check the in series 100 ohm resistor is still OK otherwise the led will glow too bright.

Good luck.

Blimey!

Sounds like I'm biting off more then I can chew!

Still, I'll have a go as there's not much to lose.

First time on this forum so thanks to everyones really helpful replies.

Firstly identify what the led emitter chips are , single col or cob, what wattage are they, then search ebay for the type, now purchase a few extras.

OK that is the easy bit, next identify with a sharpie the broken / faulty leds,. Heat solder the connecting legs and remove from the circuit gently. next carefully remove/ destroy the lens with a pair of pliers, you wil be faced with a brass coloured stud, this will have to be heated with a soldering iron till it comes free, now clean the solder pad, preferably with solder wick remover. you will need 3M heat transferring two part glue to glue in the new leds. Now solder the tabs down to the substrate. Check the in series 100 ohm resistor is still OK otherwise the led will glow too bright.

Good luck.

Archived